Respiratory Disease. What would you do?

Miriah132

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
My flock has suffered from a respiratory disease. We have not tested to see which one it is yet. The last egg I got from them was August 6th. All my girls are under 2 years. I really noticed symptoms August 18th after we got some rain(we don’t get much rain where we are). Should I cull the whole flock and start over? I have some very nice and expensive birds and would hate to do that. But if there is no hope for them starting to lay again, I don’t wanna keep them around. What would you do?

Kind of hard to ensure that all get the dosage they need when just offering it in water. My recommendation would probably be unrealistic for you. It would be a process to treat each with antibiotics injectables are easier and quicker and orals with a syringe can be quick too. You’d have to have somewhat of an assembly line (weight,inject or dispense)repeat. I don’t have a lot of birds so each one to me is of great personal value. It’s a hard call. And I’m not you I don’t envy your situation at all. Sure sorry this had to happen to you and your birds.
Please do a necropsy so you’ll know. Could be your coop and runs could have contamination that requires special attention before you can safely keep chickens again.
Man...I’m just so sorry for you truly. Best wishes

Kind of hard to ensure that all get the dosage they need when just offering it in water. My recommendation would probably be unrealistic for you. It would be a process to treat each with antibiotics injectables are easier and quicker and orals with a syringe can be quick too. You’d have to have somewhat of an assembly line (weight,inject or dispense)repeat. I don’t have a lot of birds so each one to me is of great personal value. It’s a hard call. And I’m not you I don’t envy your situation at all. Sure sorry this had to happen to you and your birds.
Please do a necropsy so you’ll know. Could be your coop and runs could have contamination that requires special attention before you can safely keep chickens again.
Man...I’m just so sorry for you truly. Best wishes
Thank you. It’s heart breaking. I’ve worked so hard on this flock. I keep a pretty closed flock unless i bring in birds from reliable sources and always implement quarantine. I guess they heard that they were going to a show in few weeks and decided they didn’t want to go. Oral and I jectables isn’t really an option for us at the moment, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom