Respiratory disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwinkleStar, Jun 11, 2016.

1. TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar New Egg

Aug 9, 2012
    Hello! Yesterday I found my hen with a swollen left eye/face, the other side is ok, other than that she is acting normal. There were some tiny bubbles in the corner of her eye, I applied a warm compress and today there were no bubbles. She is 4 yo and laying as usual. My other hens seems to be okay but I did lose 2 recently, one of them I just found dead and the other became lethargic and not eating/drinking until she died.

I have read a lot of posts and it seems like it is a respiratory disease, maybe Mycoplasma. I'm thinking of treating her with either Denagard or Tylan. The first thing recommended is to isolate the hen but in my case if she does have a respiratory disease then by now all my hens would have it as well, probably the cause of death of my other hens. My question would be if I should treat all my hens, I have never used antibiotics on my chickens and wouldn't want to unless it is absolutely necessary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it looks like something other than respiratory please advice.

p.s
    Culling is not an option, specially this hen, it belongs to my 8 yo daughter and she is already worried her chicken is going to die like the other ones.

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

My recommendation would be to get your flock blood tested first. You need to know exactly what you are dealing with before attempting treatment. Most respiratory issues do turn out to be Myco, but some are not. Blood tests tend to run $35-$60.

If it is Myco, Denagard is the most effective medication. You should treat the entire flock whenever symptoms reoccur. I've only had experience with Myco (2+ years, blood tested positive S. & G. strains) so I can't comment on the correct treatment for other common respiratory diseases, i.e. IB, ILT, Coryza, but a good avian vet should be able to give you solid advice on the correct treatment for those.

I would also recommend applying some Vetricyn to her eye twice per day until the blood test results come back, on the off chance that it might be a simple eye infection and the previous deaths only a coincidence. If it is, Vetricyn usually clears that type of thing up quite quickly.

Good luck. This is an unfortunate situation to be in - believe me, I know. Respiratory diseases are difficult because there is no cure and reoccurrence of symptoms is always a possibility and usually an inevitability.

3. TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar New Egg

Aug 9, 2012
    QueenMisha, thank you for the advice. Hopefully I can find a vet that would see my hen tomorrow. Would you recommend the ophthalmic gel or the eye wash? I also read that neosporin may work, any opinions on it?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Honestly I've always just used the regular old wound spray which is also marked for use in eyes. Vetricyn makes good products so any of the ones that can be used on the eye should work fine. I've never used Neosporin in ocular issues, so I can't comment on its safety or effectiveness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by