Respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravismomma, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Hi all! New to BYC and have a question. I have a flock of 4 all about 5mos old. About a week and a half ago I noticed my Silkie was sneezing. I took her to a vet who suggested short of lab testing to find out exactly what it was, to treat with an antibiotic. I added Tylan to water for 5 days. Silkie got better but now 2 of my other girls are showing symptoms. I assumed it was viral and am giving them immune booster and rubbed vet rx under wings. As I was putting them to bed and rubbing the vet rx, I noticed a few small bubbles forming in my BOs eye. I'm now thinking they have something else. The funny thing is the Silkie seems better. Should I treat again with the Tylan in water? Injections intimidate the heck out of me.... Would love guidance!

2. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    Wondering if I should treat again with Tylan?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

To be honest...A lot of the diseases Chickens get, can not be cured...Which means symptoms may go away for awhile but makes them carriers for life..
    Do what you think is best..? I would put them back on the meds...Were you only treating the one sick bird at first? You should of been treating the entire flock...

Good luck!

4. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    Hi @chickensreally thanks for responding. I treated the entire flock initially. However of its viral the antibiotics wouldn't help, which is what I thought I was dealing with. This am I noticed she had bloody poop. So likely coccidia as a result of a compromised immune system. I'm going to cull her and send off for a necropsy and treat the others with Tylan as well as ponazuril for the coccidia.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like soon, you will have things under control...
    I have suspected ILT Virus in my flock...It has been going around in my area...I was advised to cull one or two and send for testing but opening that can of worms with all the Bio-security crap, after words I could be forced to cull all my birds...
    So far I have had two out breaks of the disease...Crappy raising Chickens....

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by