respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeancordelia, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jeancordelia

jeancordelia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Last fall I bought some chickens that had a very bad respiratory disease and lost most and put down the rest. Now I need to know what has to be done to the run and house to clean it up. the chickens have been out since March. We took out the bedding and put in new gravel/dirt, about 6 inches. I was going to clean out the house and then spray it down with about 50% clorox. Will that do it? I would like to put in my new pullets.
    Also my friends chickens that he has been feeding a high protein chick starter don't look as good as mine. The are smaller and not feathered out nice. They look dingy and dull and the feathers are not filled out nice. He mentioned to me a while back that they were not looking very good, as good as his friend's that got some from him. I noticed today that he was right, mine look much, much nicer. He has them inside an old horse stall, quite roomy and very safe. NO sunshine however and he was feeding alfalfa in addition. I feed mine starter but gave them a lot of greens out of my garden and they had sunshine. That is the only difference except that mine have been at a little cooler area about 5 to 10 degrees cooler. He is in Phoenix which is 115 or so this last summer. it is just now getting down to 95. His had lots of water and a fan. Mine just more air movement, they didn't like the fan I bought for them. Would like input. Thanks

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    A lot of people use Oxine for cleaning. Oxine gets tons of great reviews.

Are you thinking about getting some of your friend's chickens? The description that you give doesn't sound too good.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I would clean eveything out, then use a soultion of Oxine ( add the activator to it that will make it stronger). Use 4 oz. to the gal, wet everything down then let dry before letting any chickens back in.
    About once every two weeks I do this to my coop.
    Google "Oxine" if your not familiar with it. It does a good job.

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I plan on buying some Oxine also for this reason but....there are many people who say DO NOT use the activator. It makes it way too strong even for you to breath. Search for Speckledhen's post about it. Good luck, these respiratory diseases are the devil to get rid of.

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Yes, if you use the activator do so in a well ventilated area. after fumes have dissipated ( use a dust mask might help) spray the coop down. do not use the activated oxine on the chickens. be sure its dry before introducing the chickens into the coop.
    I generally use 4 oz per gal and not use the activator its plenty strong enough that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by