Respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chookin gooood, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Chookin gooood

Chookin gooood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    UK
    I have 3 araucana he s who have just started laying. When they go to bed at night one or two of them make a flemy sound when it breathes (a bit like a snoring but from the throat). I was wondering if this was a problem or if there was any way i could solve it or what it is. There is no other symptoms, by what i can tell, healthy hen!

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    she's got a cold my hens get them then they go away i always get it in the winter like my polish hen has one right now and it will go away just how we get colds

3. greenchickenman

greenchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

If it continues to get worse and all of your chickens begin to get sick, then they might have what mine had. It was a respritory issue. They made the same sounds, would sneeze, feathers around there neck looked wet sometimes and I even had one die. I had to treat them with duramycin, I guess its like a penicilian for chickens. I also learned that I had the coop covered up too much and it wasn't getting the proper ventilation. That may have been part/mostly the cause. If you end up having to treat them with that make sure to do some research first. You can't eat eggs for a while and some other stuff you will want to know. I got it from my local feed store. Hope they get better for you.

4. greenchickenman

Oh yeah and one more thing I did. Because a lot of chicken sickness seems to have a lot of the same symptoms, I dewormed my chickens. When I posted my issue, a fellow member said their chickens had shared the same issues. Their chickens had worms to where it weakend the chickens. So I treated them with the antibiotic then later dewormed them to make sure.

5. greenchickenman

Oh yeah and one more thing I did. Because a lot of chicken sickness seems to have a lot of the same symptoms, I dewormed my chickens. When I posted my issue, a fellow member said their chickens had shared the same issues. Their chickens had worms to where it weakend the chickens. So I treated them with the antibiotic then later dewormed them to make sure.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Antibiotics will reduce symptoms and likeliness of death, but it won't fully "treat" the bird. Respiratory diseases are highly contagious, so if they have it, the other chickens are probably going to get it, unless they are isolated. They will always be carriers.

7. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    this is for warms in your chickens if you give them mothersworth plant it kills the worms i feed mine that in the summer and they never get warms and its a good tea to

8. Chookin gooood

Chookin gooood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    UK
    Thank you everyone! this was really helpful! Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by