respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by josfluffybums, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Hi my bantam Roo has a runny nose that stinks of infection and raspy breathing. When I felt his crop it was full of mucus. He has been like this for a while. I have isolated him and given him garlic in his water to try a ease the infection, also cleaned his nose with salty water. At least he can keep up his food intake when he isolated as the others have ostracized him. What else can I do is there a simple home remedy or does anyone know of a vet medication I could give him, I love him so his name is Lollypop!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Give some electrolytes and probiotics, and see if that helps (I'm not sure what you can get in Australia, but here in the United States, most feed stores sell electrolytes and probiotics) If there's no change, it is probaly a bacterial respiratory disease.You'll probably need antibiotics for him to get better. Once again, I don't know what you can get in Australia. If possible, find a version of Tylan. You might also be able to get Baytril from you vet.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does his crop empty by morning? If it is full and squishy he may have sour crop. Sour crop can smell sour, hence it's name. His fowl smelling nose and raspy breathing may be infectious coryza, a chronic respiratory disease. Can you distinguish if it is his nose smelling bad or his crop? He does appear to have some sort of respiratory disease, but if the crop is okay by morning, it is probably coryza. Here is a list of poultry diseases--read about coryza and mycoplasma gallisepticum. Here is the link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 If it is coryza, or MG, I would have to suggest culling. Treating with antibiotics is an option, but this rooster will be a carrier.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  4. Hi thank you for your prompt reply, I've checked out both of those diseases and I really don't think he has either, his residue from his nose is not sticky and he has no bubbles coming from the eye, a couple of years ago I bought him and two platinum Sussex beautiful birds + some others including my Plymouth Rock, she's doing well, one of the other two died a horrible death of what sounds like the mycoplasma gallisepticum along with a beautiful little black silky, so sad. I took them both to the bird vet and they did the poo examination on them and didn't diagnose them with anything specific. It cost me $300.00, I now don't trust vets with chickens as I believe that they don't think they are that important to get to know really well. I will check his crop tonight and then again in the morning hopefully that will tell us something. If anything I think it may be the Coryza but not sure as yet, how sticky is sticky I mean its not totally runny his nose but there wasn't a whole lot of build up around the nostrils. Still need help thank you everyone

5. Hi to get back to all, Lollypop ended up escaping out of the hospital bay and going to bed with the rest of the flock so I wasn't able to nurse him further, thank you for your help though. Will continue further investigations at a later stage!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by