Respiratory Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdchickgirl, Nov 24, 2014.

1. sdchickgirl

sdchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    Okay so it's our first time getting backyard chickens and we've already just recently lost one to avian pox. They're all about a month and a half old and since we put the last one down I've been keeping a close eye on the others to see if theyve contracted the illness. They've seemed to be doing fine, until today when I was letting them out and I noticed one of them had a foamy eye. She's been acting completely fine and she doesn't seem to be sick at all, she's eating and drinking as normal and is just as spritely as ever. I've done some research and what I've found is either infectious bronchitis or MG. I've attached some pictures of the sick side of her face. I have her quarantined from the others just in case and I really don't want to lose another, so if you know anything please let me know!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: I've spent some time with her alone and I'm noticing her breathing is fast and kind of noisy. She also keeps opening her mouth as if she can't breath very well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did this chick have any pox? I would get some Tylan 50 injectable, along with 5 small syringes, and 5 small 22 gauge needles. You can give her 1/4 ml daily as a shot just under the skin in her neck once a day for 3 days. If you can't do the shots, give her 1/4 ml by mouth, removing the needle of course, twice a day for 5 days. Then make sure she gets some probiotics in her diet to keep her from having diarrhea from the antibiotics. Clean her eye with saline, and put Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment, or Vetericyn Eye Gel in the eye twice a day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  4. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014

Okay will do! Thanks! She didn't have the pox but was in contact with the one who did quite a lot.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I meant to say give the Tylan injection in the back of the neck just under the skin.

6. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    I did quite a bit of research last night on the possible resporatory diseases she may have. I checked on her this morning and let her graze outside for a bit and she seems to be getting a lot better. I'm wondering if it's possible that her eye got pecked at or irritated? Because the only symptom that really linked to a respiratory disease was the watery eye, and that's starting to go away. Should I do the injections just in case?

7. sdchickgirl

Oct 28, 2014
    I've been keeping her in quarantine just in case and I noticed her poop seems a little different than normal. I attached some pictures and I think it could just be from the stress. She really hates being separated from everyone. I could just be paranoid but I don't want to overlook anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Budderball

Budderball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia.

Has she eaten citrus at all? That can give her diarrhea. Again, so can stress. I wouldn't fret about the poop. As long as she's still pooping, she's fine. My chooks get diarrhea all the time because diarrhea all the time because I have an orange tree.

9. Budderball

Budderball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia.

Probably not. She may get sick if she doesn't need it. If the symptoms come back, sure, but for now, I wouldn't.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would at least use some antibiotic ointment (Terramycin, plain Neosporin,) or some Vetericyn eye gel in the eye twice a day to help treat any infection even if it was a peck wound. But you did describe some problems with her breathing--noisy and fast with an open mouth. It could be mycoplasma or MG, which can make carriers of your whole flock. Testing is possible to find out exactly what it ishere: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf Here is a link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by