1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Respiratory, environment, or parasite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LottieHaveMercy, Dec 3, 2016.

1. LottieHaveMercy

LottieHaveMercy Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Hello! I am new to chickens this year and could use some input/advice. Earlier today when I let my 5 chickens out I noticed my 7 month old standard cochin pullet, Sooty, sounded strange. When I picked her up it sounded like she was congested, sort of gurgly. She has no discharge, comb is bright, and she is acting normally, except for the congestion and occasional wet cough. She didn't have symptoms yesterday, and all the other girls seem normal. I have not introduced any new birds since August and no one else in my vicinity has chickens.

I took Sooty to the vet who told me it could really be anything at this point and to watch her for a couple days in isolation, monitor her eating and drinking, and bring her inside if temp dip below 40, since she is alone. Vet told me if Sooty didn't improve that I could try de-worming with Safeguard Aquasol and possibly submit a stool sample to the local extension office.

We did have a lot of rain this week after a long drought, and I recently added straw to the coop but have decided to remove it since it seemed to absorb too much moisture. Could her symptoms be environmental?

I know I just wrote a lot of info so if you are still with me at this point I thank you!

Lottie

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Has she improved since you have isolated her?

Generally a wet gurgling and cough is associated with respiratory illness. There are several, so it would be hard to determine which one.
    Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis and Infectious Coryza (IMHO) are the 3 most common respiratory illnesses.

For Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis you can try treating with Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. It depends on the brand of Oxy that you purchase so follow the package directions on that.

Infectious Coryza you would also notice a very strong foul odor coming from your girl, since you didn't mention odor (and you would have) I would at this point in time rule out Coryza unless other symptoms occur.

Antibiotic treatment only helps with secondary infections and may give some relief/supportive care. Without knowing exactly what illness you are dealing with it's really a shot in the dark.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. LottieHaveMercy

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Thank you for responding! She actually seems a bit worse today, and I have seen her shaking her head and "gaping" so for now I am going to treat her with the anti-parasitic the vet recommended.

Do you know much about Safeguard Aquasol? The wording on the product website says it shouldn't be used in laying hens. She doesn't lay eggs yet, but does that mean if I treat her with this stuff that she is permanently contaminated? Is there an alternative for laying hens?

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I really can't say they whether they would be permanently contaminated.

Fenbendazole (safeguard) is commonly used for de-worming chickens. If I am not mistaken, almost all de-wormers except Hygromycin B (which is an antibiotic) have the warning labels for laying hens.

The Safeguard Aquasol formula has 200mg/mL of Fenbendazole compared to the goat formula (100 mg/mL) that is more commonly used for most backyard flocks.

I would talk to your vet about your concerns since this was the recommended product to use. Since she is not laying yet, it is most likely fine. The biggest concern is "residue" of the drug in eggs. All de-wormers (except Hygromycin B) have a "withdrawal period" or throw away time for eggs (don't eat them).

I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well. I hope she gets better soon.

5. LottieHaveMercy

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Thank you! I will post an update in a few days. Hopefully the Safeguard will do the trick.

6. LottieHaveMercy

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Ok so I now have 3 of 5 birds sneezing and shaking their heads, though they don't sound congested this the first bird. Could it be Mycoplasma that is just showing? All my birds are from the same breeder, the 3 sneezing now were purchased at less than a week old and brooded together, the other 2 who have no symptoms currently I added in August from the same farm after a 2 week quarantine.

I'm getting pretty worried now, I don't want to lose my girls. So far everyone is still eating and drinking normally and no puffy faces or crustiness. They do sort of "spray" when they sneeze and shake their head, little watery drops.

Should I go ahead and treat with Tylan 50? How long until you typically see improvement?

Lottie

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If it seems to be spreading, then antibiotic treatment may be an option. Tylan 50 will help with any secondary infections of respiratory illness. Since you have a vet, they may be able to give you a more effective medication than you can find at the feed store.

8. LottieHaveMercy

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Thanks Wyorp Rock! You have been such a help, especially in what I need to ask the vet.

I left my vet a message this morning asking her about antibiotics and updating about the first sick bird. It's strange though, the original bird, Sooty, who was gurgling and sounding congested yesterday sounds a lot better today. I gave her a dose of the de-wormer yesterday, could it have helped that fast? I guess it's possible there are two separate problems, worms and a respiratory issue? Would using the de-wormer and the Tylan 50 possible help everything or overload their systems? I'll ask the vet all of these questions too when she calls.

9. magdelaine

magdelaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Inyokern, CA
    It sounds viral; probably Infectious Bronchitis. Antibiotics are good to prevent secondary infections, but unless you have a death I wouldn't worry. They should recover fine.

10. LottieHaveMercy

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Thanks! I certainly don't want to give them more meds than they will need, but I don't want to wait until anyone dies either! They are still acting lively, so hopefully you are right and it's just a virus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by