Respiratory help needed please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabbyscritters, Nov 22, 2011.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    One coop of my daughters bantams are showing respiratory problems. She has 4 large breeder pens in this coop. Several have begun sneezing, breathing with beaks open and you can hear raspy breathing, especially at night.

All have been healthy, wormed late summer. For the past two months I have been fogging the coop and chickens once a week with oxine, I hoped as a preventative.

There are 2 are newer arrivals, shown and purchased at a show in early October from different breeders. The new birds were in quatantined for over 3 weeks before being moved into this coop. Our other birds that were in quarantine with them (went to the same show) are dong fine, they live in a different coop.

So far none have any noticable nasel drainage (bubbly crud), I cant see any thing unusual in beak, all are active and eating well. But there is snezzing and raspy breathing that you can hear if you listen real close during the day and noticable when on perches at night. One cockerel is breathing with beak open at night.

What we have done: Started on 11-21
    Treated water with Tylamox from Foys (20 mg Tylan & 10 mg Amoxicillan), changing water daily
    Using vetrx, warmed and puttiing a drop in each nostril of birds who are having breathing trouble
    Fogging coop and birds with oxine each morning
    Encouraging eating, scrambled eggs and fresh chicnks of pumpkin in the morning

Is this antibiotic the best for respiratory problems, it is all we have on hand but we have a vet who will dipsnce to us.
    Please dont preach about introducing new birds or not to medicate and cull the whole flock.

These are my 10 year old daughters birds, she has worked hard to aquire good stock. She is the one who noticed that she thought she heard sneezing and that we should keep a close eye, next day it was obvious. I am glad now that she has her birds in several seperate coops. I know respiratory problems are not good.
    She was just setting up her breeding pen groups and got her new incubator.

Ideas please.

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I would stop putting the VetRX into nostrils and add it to food and rub it on beaks instead. I would add fresh greens, olive oil and fresh garlic to their diet along with the pumpkin, maybe put it all in the food processor. The antibiotics are great.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  4. karithatswho

karithatswho Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    I have put the VetRX under their wings so that when they sleep they breath it in... instead of in their food or nostrils. Fresh greens mixed with garlic and ginger root too!

5. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Daughter had done the vetrx under the wings tonight, forgot about that.
    We put vetrx in nostrils because that's what it said on the box, will skip that, most of it sent on best anyway-tricky to aim for nostril on a one pound bantam.
    I did give dome pumpkin chunks for breakfast, will sacrifice another one tomorrow.
    Why the garlic, just wondering. Raw or cooked, I could put it in the scrambled eggs. Olive oil?

I guess We will stay on antibiotic We have. I'm glad they are eating, will keep on preparing goodies to keep their strength up.

Do they not mind the taste of a few drops of vetrx in the water, that WE mentioned on the box also

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sneezing and raspy breathing can be environmental. Ammonia fumes in bedding, dust/dander, smoke, pollen, dust from feed, etc...
    If it's not environmental, as you stated it could be a respiratory problem = respiratory disease. Here's a link: Scroll down to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read up on that disease. Also, read up on Infectious Coryza as well. You could possibly be dealing with either one of these diseases.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. Victoria-nola

Victoria-nola Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    Southwest Mississippi
    Two of my 12-week-olds were on the roost with their beaks open last night, and I could hear breathing on the one facing the front. No other signs such as mucus anywhere, eye problems, or anything like that. I checked their crops because I had a chicken who would open his beak to try to rearrange the crop contents, and massaging the crop had helped that. But it wasn't their crops.

My holistic vet prescribed a homeopathic remedy called "Aconite" in the strength of 200c, 3 doses, 2 hours apart. You give 6-10 of the tiny-sized pills, or 3-4 of the larger (for homeopathy) pills.

The chickens didn't want to be messed with but as soon as they got the Aconite in them they cheeped happily. They cheeped happily after each of the 3 doses.

This morning they are fine, happy, no signs of illness.

I've also ordered the VetRx that you mentioned. Thanks. I'm an all-natural gal and like to be able to help my animals likewise.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  9. Victoria-nola

Victoria-nola Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    Southwest Mississippi
    FYI: Everything I've read about Aconite points to toxicity in humans and animals. IMO, too risky to use.
    http://www.drugs.com/npp/aconite.html

First of all, drugs.com is completely hostile to alternative medicine. It's not a good or trustworthy source on alternatives to Western medicine.

Second, if you don't understand homeopathy, don't use it. Homeopathy uses highly diluted, teeny tiny portions of whatever the remedy is. There is no "poison" left there.

My veterinarian is holistic and uses homeopathy as her first choice. Homeopathy was actually the first "Western medicine" until the allopaths (what we now know as standard conventional medicine) took over and put out the bad rap on homeopathy.

Again, if you don't understand homeopathy, don't use it. But saying that the homeopathic remedy "Aconite" is the same as the plant aconite (and therefore toxic) is not factual.​

1 person likes this.
  10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:First of all, drugs.com is completely hostile to alternative medicine. It's not a good or trustworthy source on alternatives to Western medicine.

Second, if you don't understand homeopathy, don't use it. Homeopathy uses highly diluted, teeny tiny portions of whatever the remedy is. There is no "poison" left there.

My veterinarian is holistic and uses homeopathy as her first choice. Homeopathy was actually the first "Western medicine" until the allopaths (what we now know as standard conventional medicine) took over and put out the bad rap on homeopathy.

Again, if you don't understand homeopathy, don't use it. But saying that the homeopathic remedy "Aconite" is the same as the plant aconite (and therefore toxic) is not factual.

No problem, do as you wish. Since drugs.com is useless for you, here's a few others. Good luck.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitum
    http://www.answers.com/topic/aconite
    http://earthnotes.tripod.com/aconite.htm

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by