1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

respiratory illness emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muircheartaigh, Jan 18, 2015.

1. muircheartaigh

muircheartaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I have has 5 chickens die in the last 48 hrs. In the week prior there was some indication of respiratory illness with some sneezing and rattling breathing. There have been some temperature fluctuations so I made sure ventilation and temperature were watched. However, the day before the first death I noticed some listlessness and droopiness in some of the hens. Now some of the hens have puffy eyes and bloody mucus discharge from their nostrils along with the labored breathing. I had a beautiful flock this Autumn but now I am worried about losing all 75. What should my mode of action be? Necropsy at the vet? Antibiotic? Depopulate? Other options?
    I'm very worried for the lives of these beautiful animals. I'm worried that I haven't properly conducted the deep bedding method and the humidity has allowed disease to set in. Some one please help.

2. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

3. muircheartaigh

Not sour crop as I have checked.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like infectious laryngotracheitis or ILT. ILT is a virus which causes coughing, wheezing, and bloody mucus to be coughed up from the beak and nasal passages. There could even be a secondary infection present such as MG causing the eye swelling. ILT is a reportable disease in Canada and in most states in the US. It can cause your flock to be carriers, and may be present in the environment for up to 6 months, even if your flock is culled. No medicines will treat ILT, but Tylan or oxytetracycline could help treat or prevent other secondary infections. Sorry you are dealing with this.

5. muircheartaigh

Thank you. I am looking into it more today.

6. muircheartaigh

The vet has recommended onycyn powder administered in water(?) As he thinks it is a fungal growth due to inadequate ventilation, which leads me to my next question. What is the most cost effective ventilation method. Currently, I am using two large gable vents and a roof vent plus two hinged windows on mild days. What is the vented area per square foot (24' X 12' chicken barn)? I want to right my wrongs ASAP so my birds don't go through this again.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though you have good ventilation. Are there any wet areas in the coop, any ammonia odor, or excessive dust? I can't find out what onycyn powder is. Could that be oxytetracycline?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by