Respiratory illness? I'm afraid she'll be gone when I wake up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catchick247, Aug 4, 2014.

1. catchick247

catchick247 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    I have already posted earlier about this, so if you know this from earlier, sorry for the repetition.

I have a white rock that I bought from a man about a month ago. I got home yesterday and picked her up (she's my cuddly girl) and noticed her right eye was almost all of the way shut and had bubbles (from tears, I'm assuming) emerging from the small slit where her eye was still open. The bubbles had no color to them, just clear. I posted and I was told to clean her eye, which I did. Today, I asked my boss (whom is a chicken expert [i work at a hardware store, so it's almost necessary]) and showed her the picture of her, and she told me that she has a respiratory illness and that I need to separate her from the rest of the flock. As soon as I got home, I did just that. Tomorrow I am going to buy a supplement to put in both her water and the flocks water. I also cleaned her eye again, which seemed to be open a tad more. The bubbles went from clear to a white color, like bath bubbles. Her eye also looks semi swollen, but it may just be me over reacting. I am very concerned because I heard my barred rock sneezing and sniffling like her. If I get the supplement in their water ASAP, could I help prevent this? And if my white rock continues to get worse, should I go ahead and put her down? What more can I do? Also, I'm afraid that she'll only continue to get worse because we are moving her on Wednesday. I know new locations are always a complication, and this poor girl will have been moved from two locations in a time span of a month! :( what else can I do to help her?

2. luvmichx

luvmichx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Cabazon, CA
    Hi, I am sorry your chicken is sick. I would suggest you get the supplement in the water to treat not only your BR but the whole flock as you mentioned in your post. You did the right thing by separating her and making her comfortable. See how this goes. As you know, only time will tell. I understand how stressful a move is on humans and perhaps the stress of moving is affecting your hen. Be patient, see how the supplements affect her and if she gets bad you may have to cull her. I'm hoping and praying for the best! Please keep us informed on her progress :)

3. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    You can purchase Tylan 50 at TSC, it's an injectible antibotic.. It's used to treat respiratory ..does she smell bad? MG can cause eye bubbles, runny noses, sneezing. stress brings out symptoms.... You can also add vitamin supplements to their water, B complex is good at helping boost their immune system..... If she recovers she will be a carrier for life so you should keep a closed flock. I think there's a antibotic eye cream you can use, but I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. catchick247

Mar 21, 2014
    If she's a carrier, it means she could break back out again, right? What does this mean for the rest of my flock? I don't know where she could've gotten this, I've never had problems like this before. I was told not to eat her eggs for a month, is that true? They are free range chickens, but come Wednesday they will be put in a run due to home owners restrictions, which scares me even more. I don't want them penned up together in such a small amount of time. I have thought seriously about getting her culled, though it may be hard, I still have six other chickens to provide for. I want to give her as long as possible, but if her eye closes completely, I may lose all faith. Store opens at eight tomorrow morning, so that is my first trip. Does anyone know how long it will take for the stuff to kick in? How can I prevent this in the future?

5. catchick247

Mar 21, 2014
    I put the antibiotic in her water around 11 o'clock this morning. Her eye seemed to have opened more, but the cage smells terrible, and I don't see much poop anywhere. Also, her eyelid has a bit of crusted blood on it, but again I don't see any scars from scratching and what not. She is definitely upset that she is not around her sisters, she was cackling up a storm! And throughout all of this, she continues to lay just fine, though I do trash all of her eggs immediately.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    The bad smell could be Corzya.... Sulmet in their water is good for treating Corzya.... Symptoms are typically a horrible smell, nasal discharge, swelling around the eyes or sinuses, and sneezing..... It's very contagious as well... A lot of people will cull if it's Corzya or MG, that's a personal choice... But if she has it the rest of your flock has been exposed... If it's MG, it will normally pop up again whenever the bird gets stressed. Not sure about Corzya.. @Eggcessive is great with illnesses, maybe she will chime in or you could PM her to get another opinion. I would wait for her to respond before treating....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by