Respiratory Illness in chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sphinx, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm hoping you all can help.

About two weeks ago, my SIL/BIL acquired three chicks that were 1-2 weeks old. Within a couple hours, one chick had died. They figured it was due to the stress of the move (they live a little over an hour away from the chicken seller). So, the next day they got another chick from same seller.

However, it became quickly apparent that new chick wasn't quite healthy either. It seems to have a respiratory thing going on- sneezing. Also, it's now been two weeks, and it's about half the size of the other two chicks, even though they started out the same size. The chick's feathers also seem to be sticking out at weird angles.

I know they bought some sort of antibiotic for chickens (asked for advice at the feed store) and have been giving the chick that, but I don't think it's helping much. It's called "Vet Rx".

Last night, I saw them for the first time since the night they got the chicks, and I was a little shocked. The sick chick seems very listless, is MUCH smaller than the others, and the weird feather sticking up thing. I even heard it sneeze. To make things worse, I'm wondering if one of the other chicks is starting to come with the same thing.

All three have been in the same brooder since being hatched (even prior to BIL/SIL buying them).

(edited to add name of medication)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Had SIL take a picture.

Chick is supposed to be Americauna/Aracauna. Probably just an EE.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by