Respiratory Illness in entire flock. *Update Post 12*

phoebeq

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Hi guys. I need some advice from experienced chicken keepers...

It started when I brought home a pair of Bantam Seabrights and, stupidly, did not quarantine them. They began sneezing and had nasal discharge. It quickly spread throughout my entire flock (minus the guineas). It involves rattling, sneezing, swollen watery eyes, nasal discharge, and sounding like a dog toy when they breath. This has been going on for about 2 months. I have lost about 3 young pullets (3 months old or so) and about 3 or 4 adults.

I primarily keep my chickens for eggs. I sell eggs locally and generally add new chicks each Spring to keep my egg numbers up.

My first thought was Infectious Bronchitis, but I have seen several articles that say the virus only lasts a couple of weeks...obviously this is not the case in my situation. So, then I went to Infectious Coryza today...I did have a chick that showed severe eye swelling.

I have a call into my vet, but she is waiting on some info from an expert.

My question is, do any of you have experience with either of these illnesses? If so, do I need to worry about my future chicks being infected, even after everyone else is "over it"? If so, I am considering culling everyone and starting over
sad.png
I just don't want to end up losing half of every batch of chicks that I introduce to the flock...

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
MG? Bronchitis was in mine and I can tell by the crow when the roos crow they make an inhale noise real loud. I had them tested also and positive. They will be contegious but if its for eggs and not selling you should be ok.

Thanks. What is MG? I need to research symptoms, so I can see if that might be a possibility. I also need to add that the chick that had the severe eye swelling also stinks...another sign or Coryza?

Thanks! I will check that out. I just sent an e-mail to the poultry expert at Colorado State University, asking her opinion...so we shall see what she says.

Crud...Just read the link. So, if it does turn out to be Coryza, they could always be carriers of the virus, and shed it at times through out there life. Ugh...if that is the case, I think I will just have to cull them
sad.png
I am going to wait to see what the Vet at the university says...

I would want to test them for mycoplasmosis.
There is strain MG and strain MS.
I had to put down my whole flock, a few days ago, who was suspected of having mycoplasmosis MS :[.
The symptoms sound pretty similar too what my flock had so i would check it out.
And we couldn't even hatch out any chicks from them because the disease would pass down through the egg.
I have a thread about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=602376&p=1
They
can test through a blood test, but its like coryza in the way that its chronic, they will be carriers for life, and its very contagious (hence why i had to put them down).
I'm still waiting for the necropsy results but the vets were all pretty certain it was Chronic respiratory disease (a umbrella term) caused by something like mycoplasma.

If its coryza, they normally have a foul smell coming from their face and yellow cheesy discharge.

Sorry to hear you are going through this with your flock
hugs.gif

I hope they have something treatable/curable!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom