1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory Illness in Rooster, can I help him?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gooseluv, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Gooseluv

Gooseluv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    PEI Canada
    [​IMG]
    Hello
    My favourite rooster is wheezing this evening.
    In the evening I put my roosters in our insulated garage in their very own crates, I immediately gave him Tetracycline added to water.
    This is our first year with chickens and our first year breeding chickens. In our coop we installed 2 breeding pens. We added our rooster and hens into the breeding pens in March, they have not been out of the breeding pens, as I have other roosters.
    During the winter we utilized the "deep litter" method using wood shavings. We are just coming into spring and I have not yet cleaned the coop out of the litter.
    Every morning I go into the coop and I remove lumps of poop and turn over the litter. I add a bit of clean shavings on top. The kids have been into the pen a few times and dumped the water over, I remove as much of the wet shavings as possible and replace with clean shavings. The vents are open and if it is not too cold the door is open.
    I believe this respiratory issue is possibly due to the litter, his pen I noticed did smell a bit like ammonia, but it has been raining and I haven't got to cleaning out the coop.
    My question is, will the antibiotic powder help him recover, or will he die?
    He has no swelling, no discharge, just wheezing and a muffled crow.
    I plan to isolate him in his crate and feed him and give him the medicated water, by dropper if necessary.
    Tonight he ate and had a drink, I gave him 3 syringe fulls of medicated water as well just to be sure he got some.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    The above pic is Charlie in his breeding pen, the below is what it looks like from the entrance.
    I have added used feed bags to the fenced walls to provide privacy and to keep the other roosters from bothering the breeding rooster. I think this would also have a negative effect by containing the dust in that area.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If it is Mg there is no way to recover him.But there is no requirement to kill him.About 6 hens here have Mg and still live happy healthy sneezing lifes.People say that this disease spreads,but I think that's only when activated (The time the hens sick).My chickens recovered,and have never passed it on to any offspring,or anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by