emulhall

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
I have four chooks. Three of them grew up together and are 12 weeks old. The other is 2 years old. They are all around each other and live together now.

One of the 12 week olds Inari was making some weird noises when cuddling for about a week now. Since she is eating, drinking, and acting normally I decided to just keep an eye on it and not do anything yet. The noises sound kind of like when you have a cold and there's a whistle coming out of your nose. She had been panting, but I thought nothing of it because it can get kind of hot when we cuddle and it's still 70 degrees where I am.

Moving on to tonight, she is panting and stretching her neck. So are her two sisters. It is a little muggy so I think they're just hot, until I cuddle up with the 2 year old. She is panting but making some clicking noises? Like as she breathes I hear a click. Very worrisome. I tried to look down her throat for the gapeworms, but she wouldn't let me do it.

There has been some sneezing but nothing I worried about, just normal aspen-bedding-is-dusty sneezing. None of their nares are wet or anything. I'm at a loss. Gapeworm? Early respiratory issue that'll just worsen?

Please help.

I also am trying to find some Flubenol for the gapeworm (if that is what it is) but I can't find any in the USA. Any other brand names I can look for? And if it respiratory, what should I be looking to find? I do have an avian vet nearby if need be.

It's far more likely your chickens are suffering from a respiratory illness than gape worm. I've been on this web site for over ten years, and I've never seen a case of gape worm here, although hardly a day goes by that someone thinks their chicken may have them. They actually are not a common occurrence here.

The best antibiotic for a respiratory illness is Tylosin. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Give her some nutri drench in her water it will give her a boost and some apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl of water,gape worm is not contagious but if the other's have it then it is because they all ingested it.

Do the following,use flubenol it is a powdered worming product.Or you should use Aviverm (large bird),it is a liquid bird worming product.You should put 1ml per 9kg live weight,make sure the amount is in there water and should be available at all times for about 8 hour's at normal time.If this is gape worms this is how I can help.

One of the 12 week olds Inari was making some weird noises when cuddling
She had been panting, but I thought nothing of it because it can get kind of hot when we cuddle
Moving on to tonight, she is panting and stretching her neck. So are her two sisters. It is a little muggy so I think they're just hot, until I cuddle up with the 2 year old. She is panting but making some clicking noises? Like as she breathes I hear a click.
I agree with @azygous far more likely it's respiratory illness than Gapeworm.
If you can get a video of them that may be helpful too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

The stretching of the neck - I would still check to make sure their crops are emptying overnight. (Stretching of the neck is also a symptom of respiratory illness as well)

Give her some nutri drench in her water it will give her a boost and some apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl of water,gape worm is not contagious but if the other's have it then it is because they all ingested it.

Do the following,use flubenol it is a powdered worming product.Or you should use Aviverm (large bird),it is a liquid bird worming product.You should put 1ml per 9kg live weight,make sure the amount is in there water and should be available at all times for about 8 hour's at normal time.If this is gape worms this is how I can help.
I also am trying to find some Flubenol for the gapeworm (if that is what it is) but I can't find any in the USA.
Hi @cooingcrow1 Welcome To BYC, we're glad you are here!
As the OP mentioned, she's in the US so Flubenol is not available (or not easily obtained in the US!!) Neither is Aviverm. Wish it wasn't the case, but that's how it is unfortunately.
Gapeworm is probably not the issue with these birds.

Great that you were able to find INFO by looking at a bunch of different websites :) I see you found a new friend in Avery as well! Hope you stick around!

I also am trying to find some Flubenol for the gapeworm (if that is what it is) but I can't find any in the USA.
It's probably not gapeworms, but if you want to treat for gapes get some Safeguard for goats and give 0.14 ml per pound of body weight orally for 5 consecutive days.

Back
Top Bottom