respiratory illness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deleon98, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Deleon98

Deleon98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    Florida
    My cockerel is sneezing and has a clear mucus or saliva in his mouth T.T ive noticed a few of my pullets sneezing once in a while and didnt think much of it cause everytime i worried about something it turned out to be nothing :( idk whats going on....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be a respiratory virus such as infectious bronchitis, or possibly a mycoplasma (MG) infection. Usually many chickens will become affected at the same time with bronchitis. You may want to separate him in a warm place to observe him for a day or two. Here is a good link to read about the common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Deleon98

Dec 26, 2015
    Florida
    Im going to the feed store i got them from saturday to get antibiotics hopefully they can wait till then [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you add vitamin supplements or electrolytes to the whole flock's water, it will help give their immune system and bit of a boost and thus give them a head start on fighting whatever "nasty" they have.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Viruses won't respond to antibiotics, but if there are any bacterial infections or secondary infections, those can respond. Typical feed store antibiotics added to the water for respiratory diseases are Tylan, oxytetracycline, Duramycin 10, and Gallimycin (erythromycin.) Those are added to the water, and Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally to just the sick rooster. For a 5 lb bird, give 1 ml orally twice a day for 5 days. For a chick give 1/4 ml, and for a bird under 5 lb, give 1/2 ml.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deleon98

Dec 26, 2015
    Florida
    Ok thank you guys so much ill see about getting water supplements and and soluble antibiotic. If i care for any secondary infections can they manage through the respiratory virus?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, and that is the key, is getting them through it without having it morph into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections. As long as it's just clear runny nose and sneezing you can probably hold off an antibiotics. If you start to hear coughing, rattling or wheezing breathing then you need to start the meds. They also need to be kept warm while they are sick.

8. Deleon98

Dec 26, 2015
    Florida
    Ok so ill keep the heat lamp on. Im guessing i shouldnt let them outside then until they get better?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is true for the sick ones showing symptoms. They can get chilled easily and have trouble maintaining temperature. Be very careful with heat lamps, especially the 250 watt ones. Make sure it is secure. Sometimes it can be easier to bring in one sick bird inside a house or heated basement.

10. Deleon98

Dec 26, 2015
    Florida
    I think im going to keep them all inside for a while cause the temp has been ranging between mid 50s to 70s. So far though my cockerel hasnt had that mucus stuff his mouth but their all still sneezing periodically. Im going to buy the antibiotics tomorrow just in case and then some supplements

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by