1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by surjeriguy, Oct 31, 2016.

1. surjeriguy

surjeriguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I'm sorry to say that three pullets of mine came down with respiratory illness symptoms, killing two of the three. Gaping, respiratory difficulties, congested, sneezing. I was able to start two of them on Tylan. I was too late with one, but the third pullet seems to be getting slowly better, starting to drink and modestly peck a bite or two. Do I continue the Tylan? She has had three doses thus far, or could it be viral? Additionally, I need to know how to reintegrate her back to the flock without risk. Or now that she has had it, is she destined to become a leper and never reintegrate back to the flock.

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    If the Tylan has helped at all, continue with it. I will stress that I am not a trained animal medical professional, but these are 2 diseases that I know of that sound similar. If either of the 2, I would guess at the second, Aspergillosis.

Laryngotracheitis, a viral infection in hens and other fowl mostly characterized by catarrhal hemorrhagic (mucus membranes bleeding) to fibrinous inflammation of the respiratory tract (throat swelling). It is manifested in laryngotracheal and conjunctival form. In the laryngotracheal form, suffocation, rales and cough are observed. The head and the neck are strongly extended forward and upward during inspiration(gaping/gasping). Eyes also appear damp/wet. Often, LT goes on as a complicated infection after the involvement of E. coli, St. aureus, M. gallisepticum etc.
    Birds infected often become carriers for at least 1-2 years, and surfaces in contact often need disinfection to avoid passing it to others. LT is caused by a herpesvirus that is relatively resistant. Mortality rate is close to 20%.

Aspergillosis is an acute or chronic respiratory disease. In rare instances, peritoneal, visceral or systemic lesions could be observed. It is caused by Aspergillus fumigatus. Dyspnea(labored breathing), enhanced, tense and heavy breathing are observed. Sometimes, rales and cyanosis(dead spots on comb) could occur. Mortality is 5-50%.

If it is not LT (above) and the pullet shows improvement, I would say return her to the others after 3-4 weeks symptom free. Lots of water and comfort care. Again, without really seeing the bird or the others, this is just a stab in the dark on an internet website. I sincerely wish you and your birds the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by