Respiratory Illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlscott54, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tlscott54

tlscott54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Gowen, MI
    For about the last 2 weeks my chickens have started coughing and I've had 3 of them die and 2 of them right now are close to it. I've put them all under heat lamps and am making sure there is fresh water and food at all times. I want to treat them but have been told you can't treat chickens that are egg layers. Don't want to lose them all! Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are all of the symptoms? Since you have experienced deaths, I would suspect mycoplasma, ILT, or coryza. Is there a bad smell from their heads, any bloody nasal mucus, and swelling around the eyes, or bubbles in the eyes? Any gaping or gasping? I would start them on Tylan 50 injections right away (1 ml injected into the breast muscle daily for 5 days,) or Tylan Soluble Powder in the water (dose--1 tsp per gallon of water.) If there is a bad smell that might be coryza, I would use Di-Methox or Sulmet in the water. Yes, you can use these meds on egglayers with a proper withdrawal time. Here is a list of diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check into getting a necropsy done by your state vet to find out exactly what you are dealing with. Many states charge a nominal fee, and some are free. Refrigeration of the body is needed, but do not freeze.

4. tlscott54

Oct 8, 2011
    Gowen, MI
    I can't get any Tylan 50 until tomorrow so have started them on Vet Rx per the directions for a large flock I misted them all and also put some in their water. I've also applied it directly to some of them. So hoping this all helps and thanks to you that responded!!

5. tlscott54

Oct 8, 2011
    Gowen, MI
    I haven't lost anymore chickens and the Vet Rx seems to be helping! I work in a veterinarians office so was able to get some tetracycline to put in their water. I will treat with that for 3 days and then stop... would that be long enough?

6. 2AcreFarmer

2AcreFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014

How much VetRx would you put in a quart of water for five chickens?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Since you work in a vet office, can you ask the vet(s) for advice?

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Again, since you're work ing a vet office, get some tube feeding supplies and learn how to tube feed.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by