Respiratory infection after deworming, series of questions.

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
For anyone giving advice who hasn't been following my mess:
My flock is of 11 adult hens, 9 mixed juveniles (10-14 weeks) and 3 chicks (6 weeks). We have not added any new adult birds since the middle of February. We have had off and on issues with roundworms.
The beginning of April one of my girls stopped laying. She was also having loose poop that likely resulted in feather loss. As a precautionary (I didn't see any mites or lice) I did a one time ivermectin pour on. Suspecting a high worm load, I started treating with liquid fenbendazole (safeguard liquid). I ended up doing 4 days of 1ml per adult hen. By day 4, I was not seeing anymore excreted worms.
The following day one of the birds started with a crackling/snoring type sound combined with a cough when breathing. I thought maybe I caused her to aspirate some medicine. Her crackling and coughing wasn't constant. One of her eyes had a tiny bit of bubbling but she was otherwise actually normal. That started on Friday. Last deworming treatment was Thursday. Saturday she wasn't any worse. Sunday was Easter so I wasn't out with them much but she was still active and no one else seemed to be having issues.
Monday morning a different bird was having pretty bad rales and coughing. She was acting a bit more lethargic than the first bird so I put her in isolation to monitor her food and water intake and poop. I fed her some eggs with vitamins and put a diffuser with some essential oils for breathing next to the crate. This morning, her breathing is better, minor crackling, no more rales and barely coughing. Eye bubbles were also gone. But bird #1 is now worse. She sounds like bird 2 did yesterday. So I added her to bird 2's isolation. Upon inspection last night, there are at least 3 other birds with milder symptoms (eye bubbles, minor nasal discharge, minor crackling). This morning there was a soft shell egg on the poop board.
Now for my questions:
1. I ordered doxycycline that is coming today. Is that worth trying?
2. I ordered denegard, should I treat the entire flock, including babies with it? (The babies are secluded but within respiratory droplets range)
3. We are due for our followup deworming this weekend, should I do it even with the respiratory issues going on?
4. I can get LA 200 today, what gauge needle do I need and who should I treat with it? The more severely symptomatic or anyone with symptoms?
Thanks for anyone has made it this far and thank you to the people I'm about to tag who have been trying to help.
@dawg53 @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

I guess my biggest question is, what do I do with the younger ones? I was planning on integrating soon. Like I said they are within range of respiratory droplets but not sharing feeders or waters.

It sounds like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
I wouldnt integrate the younger birds unless you actually see the same symptoms as the infected birds.
It'll be up to you how you keep your flock separated if the young ones arnt infected.
It'll be tough going for you because MG can be carried on clothing and your person after handling sick birds, then handling "clean" birds, they will get infected. It would require changing clothes and strict personal hygiene to prevent the bacteria from spreading.
I recommend sending off your sickest bird for necropsy, then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with.
Here's a link for you to contact the University of Florida to find out more information about sending them a bird for necropsy:
https://extension.vetmed.ufl.edu/poultry-extension/
After you contact them, keep us informed on how things are going. Thanks and good luck.

It sounds like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
I wouldnt integrate the younger birds unless you actually see the same symptoms as the infected birds.
It'll be up to you how you keep your flock separated if the young ones arnt infected.
It'll be tough going for you because MG can be carried on clothing and your person after handling sick birds, then handling "clean" birds, they will get infected. It would require changing clothes and strict personal hygiene to prevent the bacteria from spreading.
I recommend sending off your sickest bird for necropsy, then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with.
Here's a link for you to contact the University of Florida to find out more information about sending them a bird for necropsy:
https://extension.vetmed.ufl.edu/poultry-extension/
I am within an hour of Kissimmee so I can drive there, but no one is dead yet. Are you suggesting culling one?
After reading about symptoms, I am thinking it might actually be infectious bronchitis. Here's a current video of the 2 that were the sickest after just some diffusing of essential oils.

Giving treatment is up to you.
Abx only treat symptoms bacterial and bacteria like disease like MG. IB is a virus and will have to run it's course, however it's not uncommon for folks to give Abx to help treat secondary bacterial infection.

I don't know why you wouldn't finish up with the treatment for worms.

Giving treatment is up to you.
Abx only treat symptoms bacterial and bacteria like disease like MG. IB is a virus and will have to run it's course, however it's not uncommon for folks to give Abx to help treat secondary bacterial infection.

I don't know why you wouldn't finish up with the treatment for worms.
Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was any dangers to finishing up the deworming.
I plan on calling the only vet in the area that sees birds to see if she can do any kind of testing so I can see what I'm dealing with.

Your state vet should be able to tell you how to get testing locally. Some use the lab Zoologix to get a panel of 8 respiratory disease tests. Instead of buying so many antibiotics and medicines, I would get 1-2 sick birds tested to see what they have. If it is a virus, no antibiotic works. If it is a bacterial or mycoplasma, then the right antibiotic may be used. It would be best to keep one thread going about your birds, and not keep starting new ones daily. Here is a link for Zoologix testing:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Back
Top Bottom