1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory Infection? Corzya? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsejumper88, Feb 16, 2013.

1. horsejumper88

horsejumper88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    I have one chicken that I found dead last night with a crusted eye and nostrils. Unfortunately, I usually refill feed/water at night when they are all roosted, so I did not notice this issue until one was dead. After examining a l of the other chickens, I found 7 other chickens in a flock of 30 that were exhibiting symtoms. Some are gasping for breath and wheezing and have crusted eyes and watery nostrils. A few are just sneezing.

I did some research and think that they might have corzya.

I will be going out later to get some antibiotics and possibly Vetrx if I can find it. I just finished cleaning out the chicken coop, as well, and have seperated the sick chickens. Is there anything else I can do? Is this a very deadly disease? Will they all die?

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If they had Infectious Coryza, a foul odor would be present. There are other diseases that have similar symptoms that are possible. Here's a link, scroll down and read about Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) Infectious Bronchitis (IB.)
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Only a necropsy will tell what you're dealing with.

3. horsejumper88

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you for the link.

And yes, all of the birds that are exhibiting symtoms smell really bad.

I had two more chickens die today... I will be getting an necropsy done on both tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, a local vet gave me some antibiotics.

I just really hope that no more die.... They are all practically family; not to mention expensive show birds.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Please let us know what the necropsy results turn up. Thanks.

5. horsejumper88

Sep 2, 2012
    Just got the results back. They have Infectious Respiratory Herpes. My "exotic animal" vet knows very little about this, so I have some questions that are unanswered. Also, there isn't much information on the internet.

Apparently the chickens will heal fully (after the weak ones die off) and will be "carriers". I am told by Missouri State University that they will be fine to take to shows. Again, this is the first case of Respiratory Herpes they have dealt with...

Afterwards, will friends be able to enter the chicken coop without infecting their own flock?

Will I ever be able to introduce new chickens to the flock (of about 25 chickens) after this is over?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    were they able to tell how the birds first get infected? It sounds like it's a fairly rare condition.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Respiratory diseases can be transmitted on clothing, shoes, hands etc...and will spread to other birds, hence the term/name "Infectious." Carriers will infect newly acquired birds. You will have to maintain a closed flock indefinitely.
    Infectious Respiratory Herpes is actually Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.)
    http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/poultry/facts/ilt.htm

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    INFECTIOUS RESP HERPES IS ILT. INFECTIOUS Laryngotracheitis. It is very common especially in show birds. My flock was infected by some silkie chicks i purchased from a breeder. In some states they require you to cull the entire flock. They will be carriers for years. Your coop and land are infected. The only way to rid yourself is get rid of all the chickens,disinfect and leave your land sit for an extended period. We decided to vaccinate with a tco vaccine and save the ones we could. I have a totally closed flock and all new birds are hatched from eggs. We have to keep the hatchlings strictly separated until we vaccinate at 4 and 10 weeks. I change my clothes and shower before i even feed the babies. I am so sorry you have this. You can save your flock but can never show them.they can infect any other birds they contact. You can get the tco vaccine from peter brown at first state vet supply. It did stop the deaths in my flock. You have to act fast with this virus. Good luck. I hope it clears soon!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    how sad

10. horsejumper88

Sep 2, 2012
    Yikes. Thanks for the information.

Do you know if it can spread through the birds' eggs, as well? If chicks are hatched out of the infected chickens' eggs, then will the chicks be carries/infected even if they are kept seperately?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by