Respiratory infection in bantam cochin help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tacothechicken, Jul 8, 2017.

1. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Hi guys so today I was out back and it appears one of our 6 month old cochin bantams has a respiratory infection, possibly from two younger hens we added about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago we dont have any near by vets closer than 2 hrs which could treat her. So, does anyone have any advice on what antibiotics or medications specifically we can give her for best result? She's not even five lbs and it appears to have only shown up today she has a runny nose half her face is swollen and her noises are gurglely :( she's eating and drinking though. Also if the other two could have been carriers but don't show signs should we separate them too?
    Sorry I've never had a respiratory infection in our flock so I'm not experienced in how to specifically treat it other than isolation and antibiotics, but given her size I'm not sure how: much, often, or what works best! Thanks.

2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Songster

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Hi @tacothechicken ! My flock has had similar problems. VetRX works pretty well. You should hopefully be able to find it at a Tractor Supply or feed store near you. There's something else that I also use that works really well, but I can't think of it at the moment. I'll post again as soon as I do, though. I hope this helps and that your sweet girl gets better soon!

3. Tiffany Davis

Tiffany Davis In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    Ugh, that stinks :( I had this go through my entire flock! I was freaking out as it was my first year. Finally I found that Duramycin (antibiotic) that you put in the water worked awesome. A vet does have to give you a script for it. If you call most vets and explain to them what's happening they will just send the script in. I used VetRx and also FRESH herbs in water helps too! I cut some oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage and basil from my herb garden everyday. Oh and mint (they love mint) it's supposed to aid as natural antibiotics. I hope you little chickie gets better soon!

4. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Great! Thanks for the advice, she's being lethargic right now but I've treated her water whith apple cider vinegar till the medication arrives, and I may attempt to get a prescription for that duramycin. We actually do have some wild mint which I put in another waterer for whichever they prefer, and if she can make it to Monday(today's the first day we noticed it, is it usually that sudden?) we can treat her whith VetRX. She has been sneezing a bit though and her one eye is very bubbly, any home remedy to help that out?

Tiffany Davis likes this.
  5. Tiffany Davis

Jun 5, 2017
    I actually added a heat lamp back to them when they didn't feel well to keep them warm. A chill is the last thing they needed. If you can't get a script for the duramycin let me know (I can put some in a baggie and send it) it's a scoop per one gallon and it really really helped them! They only needed it for a few days and they really improved!!!

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No need to separate the 2 new birds - your flock has already been exposed.

Only treat the bird(s) that are showing symptoms. If your sick girl is lethargic, then it would be best to separate her so she can be monitored.

For bubbly eyes, flush with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel.

You can also try treating her with an antibiotic like Injectable Tylan50. This can be given orally or by injection in the breast muscle 1/4" deep. Dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of weight.
    Keep in mind that antibiotics will only treat secondary infections associated with respiratory illness. Sick, recovered and exposed birds are considered carriers.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Eggcessive and Tiffany Davis like this.
  7. Tiffany Davis

Jun 5, 2017
    Just read up on the Tylan50 that looks better then the duramycin! Then you can just treat the sick on instead of giving it to all the chickens in the water!

8. Tiffany Davis

Jun 5, 2017
    I just ordered some on ValleyVet.com and you don't need a script. I am defiantly keeping on hand thanks for the tip :)

9. Tiffany Davis

Jun 5, 2017
    Good, I had a a chick looking like it was going to die any second (after giving it the medicine within a hour it was an entirly new bird!) I kept him on it for 3 days and WOW! Total turn around. I hope she will be okay. In the meantime try oregano, thyme & sage in the water or even cutting it up small to give to the chicken to eat. The issues I had with this is that usually the sick chicks wouldn't eat. Maybe try putting on watermellon or some kind of irresistible treat...

10. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna put them back tommorrow seeing as they've all been exposed, she's doing a lot better now, just sneezing but now my two reds caught it luckily they really only have slight cold symptoms and not breathing issues like she did, I've put antioxidants in a bowl vetrx in another, and have been giving them lots of treats and easy foods to keep them eating, so far it looks like it will fade off in another week or so as long as I keep constant and looking at current severity. thanks for all the help! I'll update the outcome

Tiffany Davis likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: