Respiratory infection in turkeys

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snewman, Nov 18, 2010.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Some of my turkeys have developed a rattling, open-mouthed breathing, and their faces are swollen around the nostrils. They sometimes gape their mouths open as though they are having a hard time breathing. I processed one last night and the air sacs inside the body cavity were full of air and fluid. The rest of the birds are soon bound for the freezer as well, so I won't be treating them with anything, but I wondered if anyone knows what this is, and how they might have gotten it. If I was going to keep them, what would the treatment be? I'm assuming they're safe to eat, but if not, can someone tell me that too? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

2. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Here is a picture with a turkey that has more or less the same symptoms you describe. If it is the same, it is called swollen head syndrome and it is contagious. You must have the ill ones isolated. You need to give them antibiotics to make sure that no secondary infections will occur. Also give them multi-vitamins.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/turkey swollen head syndrome/genuinesqueak/turks.jpg

I managed to help my birds, but i lost 3 because of this. In any case it is better to seek professional help to be 100 % sure.

3. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one right no that is suffering from the same thing. I have had this happen before with my Turkies and Chickens. If you decide to treat them I have had great luck with Tylan 50. I give it to them for three or four days and they seem to rebound great. I have never lost a turkey to this but some time my batmans don't pull threw.

4. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Ok, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by