1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory infection or something else!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kat2347, Nov 14, 2016.

1. kat2347

kat2347 New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    I need advice! One of our laying hens started sneezing last week so we separated her from the rest of our flock. Since then she had started showing some concerning symptoms. Constant sneezing, watery eyes, and gasping for breath. She wouldn't eat or drink so we had to use a syringe filled with water and antibiotics to keep her hydrated. I figured it was a upper respiratory infection but, a few days ago she started having violent seizures. I have never seen a chicken with a upper respiratory infection have such violent seizures like our hen did. Sadly our hen passed away today after having one. We would have liked to have gotten a necropsy and tests done but, we just don't have the money to do so. So my question is do you think it was a bad respiratory infection or something else entirely? I noticed another hen was sneezing a lot today so i'm really worried that what ever our hen had was contagious and that we'll loose our whole flock. We have bleached our entire coop and run and have been putting antibiotics in their water everyday. Is there anything else I should do to help our other hens from coming down with whatever disease our hen had? Please help!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by