Respiratory infection or swollen eye?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by heavy12, Feb 1, 2017.

1. heavy12

heavy12 New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    I recently moved my stag and hens into a new run they are 7-6 months old, one of the hens was completely fine in the morning but suddenly got a swollen eye they are typewriter blues so I though they had fought but then the hen became very inactive so i separated her from the rest but this morning the stag had his eye half closed and some bubbles and runy nose only one of the eyes seems affected in both and I have been treating them with some salt water and the eye remains swollen what should I treat them with, they are both very inactive I being wondering if tylan 50 will work

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, heavy12, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard but sorry you seem to have some sick chickens. Hope it isn't something that sweeps through your whole flock. I am not as equipped to give medical advice as the folks in the Emergencies Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    I'd post there and I'm sure someone will chime in with some advice for you. Best wishes and I hope everything turns out okay!

3. heavy12

heavy12 New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    It's mostly the eyelids ill post a picture when I get home thanks for the support

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Sounds like it might be coryza (respiratory infection). I'm no expert but I did a lot of research and talking to experienced breeders when one of my best pullets had a respiratory infection manifest itself in her eye which was swollen and full of pus. I tried Vetricyn first, which is a mild, natural remedy, Teramycin second (topical antibiotic), and when that didn't work I went with Baytril which is an injectable antibiotic normally given oraly. The Baytril stared working after the first dose but then I learned two things; 1, the FDA hasn't approved it's use in animals used for food, which all of our chickens end up eventually, and 2, she'd be a carrier even if she cleared up that would likely expose my other birds. Also, my pullet was an SOP bird to be bred this year so I also worried about her passing this weakness on to subsequent generations. As a result I culled her last week. I've read about people having success with Tylan which I didn't research, but just make sure you read everything about any withdrawal periods for eggs and/or meat.

I hated to cull her because I'm sure she would've produced some fine offspring but all the cons just made the risk higher than the reward. I'm certainly not suggesting one should cull any bird with a respiratory infection since a lot of the time it is treatable, and in my case if the Vetricyn or Teramycin worked I would've returned her to the flock when she recovered and not thought anything of it. I only decided to draw the line after I started using Baytril when I read how it's possible that eating a bird that's been treated with Baytril, or eating it's eggs, that you could expose yourself to a bacterial strain that is resistant to Cipro which would be used if you ever got a UTI, and as such the Cipro would't work. To me it just wasn't worth the worry even though the odds were low.

Anyway, I'd suggest Vetricyn, Teramycin, and then Tylan in that order. I think if she has Coryza one of those three will get her back to normal.

5. heavy12

heavy12 New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    Thanks for the support I don't worry about the meat or eggs they are strong gamefowl and I'll probably sell the stags.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry your birds seem to be ill. The good members on the ER forum should be able to help you out.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] it's it's contagious you may loose a lot of birds to it.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under heavy12 [​IMG] Welcome!

I too am sorry that your flock sounds like it is having issues and I hope you are able to rectify them.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. heavy12

heavy12 New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    I have noticed and I'm very excited to having joined the community

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by