Respiratory infection with button quail?..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bryam, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I recently got 4 new button quails, they are adults, but one seems to be gasping, she is sneezing clear fluid and she opens her mouth with each breath that she takes. Is there a medication that I can give her or them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    I found tetracycline, so I mixed some into their water. Can I treat respiratory infection with tetracycline?

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the nature of the infection. If it's bacterial and not too far advanced then tetracycline should work.

Gasping can be related to many things. In my signature you should look at the gasping thread.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Tetracyclines work well on some respiratory ailments. Being clear liquid and not anything gummy, these meds should help. I would go head and use them and if in 5 or so days you are not seeing any improvements you might switch over to Sulfadimethoxine.

Keep us posted!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Thanks a bunch! They are already looking better! They are much more active now! I just put a bit of the powder pill in the water, roughly 1/4 of the pill on a tube of water. The tube is 1 inch wide and 4 inches high. So far so good! At what age will a button hen stop laying? I got an older hen, I am wondering if they go through menopause? Lol!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail can lay all of their lives. Depends on how often they lay. At some point they do run out of eggs. I would imagine there might be some "henopause" going on when this happens. [​IMG]Just like in a womans body and the hormones stop coursing, I am sure with hens it does this too. But when they stop laying is an individual thing. They can stop laying at some point or lay until the day they die.

7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Thanks!!

8. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    3 are doing better, one seems to have a sever upper respiratory infection, she is having a hard time breathing. When I put her up to my ear I can hear bubbly sound. Is it hopeless for that bird, she feels very thin. The breeder offered me to exchange her. What should I do?

Thanks!

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you can locate some Sulfadimethoxine antibiotics, this stuff might clear up this infection. This drug is used when the infection gets thick and gummy.

As far as taking her back to the breeder, this is an option that you need to decide. Do you want to treat her or start with another bird? If she is really thin and sick she may not make it much longer.

10. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Yes, I exchanged her for a healthy bird! The breeder was shocked at how sick she is. The breeder doesn't think it looks good for her. Poor thing looks to be a lot older than I thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by