Respiratory infection?

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
When I was putting my chickens up for the night, I noticed my rooster had some rattling breathing. He also sneezed a few times. He is a 16 week old speckled Sussex. He had no discharge or watery eyes from what I could tell, and eats great. I have heard Vet Rx was a good product and not too expensive. Any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vetrx is not a medicine...it may help relieve symptoms but it will not cure anything.

I would have to say it would be best to take her to the vet and have her properly diagnosed first.
Have you checked for gapeworm?
Is your coop very dusty?

My coop had some dust in it- but not horrible. I can change the bedding tomorrow to see if it helps. There are no vets near me that know anything about chickens. How do you check for gapeworm? Thank you for the help :)

Now that I think of it, I did stir up the bedding today. I am using the deep litter method and I added fresh bedding today. That might have put a lot of dust in the air causing him to sneeze. I will check him in the morning when the dust has all settled to see if he still has a stuffy nose.

You can put a q tip in his moth to see if it comes out with worms...very small.
But I would not suggest to do that just yet.
Keep an eye on him...it he continues to sneeze or cough then...you can try something else.

Gapeworm is more of a coughing all the time sign.
If you say it was dusty he could just have been trying to clear out the dust.

Back
Top Bottom