Respiratory infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hubert Cumberdale, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale Chirping

Jul 26, 2017
    Back again. Sorry to start a similar thread to my last but i'm reading a fair bit of conflicting advice on what to do about respiratory infections. We've had these hens for just 3 weeks and it seems to have spread through our flock of four. The blue haze spend a day shortly after bringing her home, very lethargic and not eating. The following day, she picked up but developed this cough. Next was the Columbian blacktail. They're all very lively now and eating well, but the coughing persists (mainly just in the 2 I mentioned) with the odd gape. I've heard advice from culling (which im really not going to do unless they really take a turn for the worst and I have no option) to leaving them to get over it. There's no visible mucus or eye bubbles so i'm not yet convinced on antibiotics. They're all laying apart from the Columbian, that's slowed down the last few days. Is there anyway to upload video? Doesn't seem to like mp4

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't believe the video "thingy" works here:D Most people upload to youtube then provide us a link - that seems to work fine.

3. Hubert Cumberdale

Jul 26, 2017

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't see or hear anything too concerning. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinion.

They may be getting over something viral like Infectious Bronchitis which can spread through a flock fairly rapidly, but start to resolve itself in 4-6wks. It can make birds carriers for up to a year.

Since you never did see symptoms such as facial swelling, runny nose, mucous, bubbly eyes with discharge, antibiotics most likely would not have been effective anyway. Antibiotics will only treat secondary infections associated with respiratory illness.

Hubert Cumberdale and Eggcessive like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would say that you are dealing with infectious bronchitis. It should hopefully go away within a month or so, and they may have a decrease in laying for a little while, or maybe some wrinkled egg shells or soft shells. Younger chicks can really be harmed by IB, but most grown chickens will get through it okay. Antibiotics are normally not needed or susceptible to viruses, but sometimes they may suffer from secondary bacterial infections that can make them sicker.

Hubert Cumberdale and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Hubert Cumberdale

Jul 26, 2017
    Ok, I will just keep an eye on them. Thanks for your replies :)

7. Hubert Cumberdale

Jul 26, 2017
    The blacktail has started to sound a bit rattly. maybe I will try some antibiotics

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable at many feed stores, plus some 3 ml syringes with 20 gauge needles (to withdraw the medication from the vial) would be what I would use if she is worse, but she still may just have a virus. Instead of giving Tylan 50 in shot form though, I would remove the needle and give it orally. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound of weight given twice a day for 5 days. For most 5 pound chickens that is 1 ml, 1/2 ml for bantams, 1 1/2 ml for an extra large hen or rooster. If you have a vet who could prescribe Tylan powder for the water or another antibiotic for the sick hen, that would be good.

Hubert Cumberdale and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Hubert Cumberdale

Jul 26, 2017
    Just realized that a women just up the road keeps chickens and also works at the local vet, so she should be able to get the soluble, which makes things easy lol thanks a lot for your advice x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: