Respiratory Infection???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beth59, Aug 8, 2010.

1. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    We're on hen #4 now that started a croupy, honking noise. After a couple of days, I noticed a clear nasal discharge and bubbles in the corner of the eyes of the first one to exhibit symptoms. Called my vet and looked online here and it sounded like an upper respiratory infection. Not sure where this is coming from. It's been three of our year old hens and one four month old. A couple of days on doxycycline and they seem back to normal. Any ideas other than an URI? Sound familiar to anyone? Hot and humid here in NW Fla., like other areas of the Southeast. Could the weather have anything to do with it?

Beth

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. beth59

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    From that chart (thanks): "Discharge from nostrils, sneezing, foam in corner of eye, swollen sinus under eye.Rattling breathing, sweet sickly smell."

No sneezing, swollen sinuses and not really rattling, and no sweet sickly smell. They're eating fine, don't seem lethargic really - more like they just don't feel right, just making a honking sound when they normally cluck or sqawk - kind of like we sound when we have a cold - kind of hoarse sounding or sometimes like clearing your throat, and there seems to be some slight respiratory distress (breathing with mouth open). Seems to respond well to doxycycline after a couple of days. No mortality yet. Seems to slowly be making its way through our flock. I'm sure the heat and humidity are not helping. I'm tempted to just go ahead and medicate the rest, but I don't like to give meds unless they are needed. Not sure where this could have come from. We added four new chicks about a month ago, but they have all been healthy so far. This started about a week and a half ago.

Beth

4. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    We have this going on with our 4 hens also! It started with one and now have noticed another. It has been terribly hot and humid here and rained very heavily on friday. The girls just stood out in it getting drenched! [​IMG] Tried to get them in their coop but they would not have it so here we are two sick chickens. My girls are eating and drinking just fine also!

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It is hard to diagnose any problem via the forum. The mouth open thing could just be because it is so hot in the South right now.

I feed food that comes from the mill, and thus, it is ground like cornmill. My chickens will make the sound you describe during and after eating and there is nothing wrong at all.
    If the antibiotic helped then that is a good thing.

My only suggestion at this point would be to add clorox to their drinking water: 1 oz per gal of water. This will help control the spread of any bacteria if indeed one of them was sick.

6. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    poor girls [​IMG]

7. beth59

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Thanks, I was just hoping it might be something that sounded like a common chicken illness, but I have not been able to find anything specific to the syptoms ours are having. Last year was hot and humid here to - okay, so on the Gulf Coast, every summer is hot and humid - but we had no problems. We keep a fan on in the coop and they have shade and plenty of water in the run. They all pant during the hottest part of the day, but this is different. I wish we had audio available on these posts to describe the sound they are making. It's rather pitiful. Went home at lunch today and the one who started being symptomatic Saturday is appearing much better. There's one who still sounds funny that started showing symptoms on Sunday, so hopefully, by tomorrow, she will be better.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by