Respiratory infections

ashleysavage88

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Can someone please help? I am now dealing with respiritory infection again for a third time and i cannot for the life of me figure out how they are getting it or where it is coming from. I keep their coop and run clean, fresh water, its ventilated, i can't see any signs of mould either. The forst time i lost my whole flock, i bleached and sterilised then after 8 month i got some more from a respected breeder then after 1 month they all had it again. I treated them and they got better for about 3 month with no signs then now all of a sudden they are all infected again. I just feel like giving it all up. Can someone please help?

Keep in mind that most respiratory diseases in chickens are chronic, and with them for life. Survivors and other flock members become carriers once exposed. Diseases can come from wild birds, be tracked in on shoes and clothing from other infected flocks, and usually they come from where you got the birds. Many who buy chickens at sales can bring home a sick chicken who may not look sick for a couple of days. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Close your flock to new birds, or to birds ever leaving your flock until they die. Culling sick birds may help control it. Antibiotics can help treat symptoms of MG, coryza, but do nothing against viruses, such as infectious bronchitis or ILT. If you can describe all of the symptoms, it might be possible to know what disease they have. Your state vet can perform a necropsy to give you a diagnosis.

Weather can also play a roll in respiratory problems. Hot days then rain can bring things like this on. Sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Keep in mind that most respiratory diseases in chickens are chronic, and with them for life. Survivors and other flock members become carriers once exposed. Diseases can come from wild birds, be tracked in on shoes and clothing from other infected flocks, and usually they come from where you got the birds. Many who buy chickens at sales can bring home a sick chicken who may not look sick for a couple of days. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Close your flock to new birds, or to birds ever leaving your flock until they die. Culling sick birds may help control it. Antibiotics can help treat symptoms of MG, coryza, but do nothing against viruses, such as infectious bronchitis or ILT. If you can describe all of the symptoms, it might be possible to know what disease they have. Your state vet can perform a necropsy to give you a diagnosis.
Their symptoms are, drop in egg production, off their food, coughing, sneezing, open mouth breathing, lethargy, rattling chest in some.

Back
Top Bottom