respiratory issue? need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arobs, Jan 20, 2015.

1. arobs

arobs New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    bonnyville, AB
    My Coop
    I have seven hens, when I first got them, my one wyandotte had a rattle noise when she breathed sometimes but I didn't really think on it too much. It went away, I thought it was just stress from being relocated. Since then several months later she is rattling again and her eye looks swollen and bubbly. I thought maybe someone pecked her eye and it was just injured so I was giving her polysporin eye drops. But someone told me that the eye issue could be respiratory and then I realized that the rattle noise was probably the first symptom and I had overlooked it. I have heard the other hens sneeze occasionally, but its the wyandotte with the eye issues that Im most worried about. She may be losing weight but its hard to say with all the feathers... she's also limping on one leg on the same side her eye is affected. Which I thought maybe she was just clumsy and fell off the roost cuz she couldnt see from that eye but it maybe also be a symptom so I figured Id throw it out there. Ive contacted my vet to ask for antibiotics but he says to kill the hen and send it for testing. He also thinks its ILT and that he legally needs to report me for it? Im so confused. Please help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have mycoplasma synoviae or mycoplasma gallisepticum. Either one is a respiratory disease, but MS will also affect the joints and bones. They are contagious, and can make carriers of the whole flock for life. You may want to get this chicken tested. Tylan 50 can help treat symptoms, but nothing can cure the disease. Here is a link with some info about the common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. arobs

arobs New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    bonnyville, AB
    My Coop
    So if they survive they would always have the disease, and any other chicken I would add to my flock would also get the disease? So do I have to cull my flock over this? Clean the coop and start over?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get the one chicken tested to see what you are dealing with. Sometimes it is easier to sacrifice a sick chicken and send it to the state veterinarian for a necropsy. That way you get an answer. Here is a link for your state vet, and they can answer questions about what to do: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

5. arobs

arobs New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    bonnyville, AB
    My Coop
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by