Respiratory issue - Rooster died over a month ago and now hen has same issue? Please help

kauai_chickens

Chirping
Dec 10, 2018
My hen start sneezing a couple weeks ago while she was eating. This happens sometimes when the food is dusty so I was hoping it was nothing. But I could hear her outisde and it seemed to be getting more constant. I seperated her and put her in a dog crate. The sound that she makes is like a cough/crow/sneeze and it happens all day and most of the night. No other chickens are showing any signs . Although our rooster died about a month ago and he also had a respiratory issues that lasted months until he finally died. His started the same but took longer before he was in the shape our hen is currently in. Currently I am giving the hen some vet rx orally as well as putting it under her wings and on her comb. I am in kauai. I do not know if Gapeworm is actually something I should worry about here or not? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

chicken had yellowish clump in the behind her tongue that was blocking her airway. I tried to remove it but could not and she died.

Very sorry for your loss.

When you say "yellowish clump in the behind her tongue" that makes me think she may have has something like Coryza, or wet fowl pox. Do you happen to have a picture of the yellow clump? Both of those diease's are quite contagious so I would suggest checking in the rest of your birds mouth.

Back
Top Bottom