Respiratory issue? Worms? *poop pictures included*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nwchickma, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Nwchickma

Nwchickma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Westmont, Illinois
    My head is spinning, I've read a ton of posts on worms, bloody poop, and respiratory problems and I don't know if what I'm dong is right. Here it goes:
    The chickens are 3 months old. Last week I heard just a little sneezing from 1 of them but that seemed to subside but then blood showed up in one chickens poop. Just a little so I went and wormed with Wazine17 for 1 day. That seemed to help. (I free range my chickens a few hours a day, this is the first time I wormed them) now I've got one sneezing and her poop is really runny with a tiny bit of blood and she had some clear nasal discharge that smells. She's acting normal, eating and drinking. I added Duramycin yesterday when I saw the nasal discharge bc that is what I had. One of my other girls who is showing none of these symptoms and whose poop is fine has been opening her mouth and gasping for air. This is maybe once or twice a day.

Should I be worried about worms or change antibiotics?

I'll attach poop pictures with my phone in a different post.

THANKS!!!!

2. Nwchickma

Jun 14, 2014
    Westmont, Illinois
    These are from last night. They all had regular healthy poops. Two had runny poops as well, both pictured. The blue circle is NOT blood, it's a spot that was on the wood.

[​IMG]

She had regular poop too with a little blood.

[​IMG]

The girl that sleeps next to her:

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon, or Sulfamed G) or Sulmet which is easier to find, and start them on it. Those will treat for coccidiosis and will also treat for coryza. Also get a vial of Tylan50 injectible, with a needle and syringe. Keep them on the Duramycin until you get the sulfa drug. The reason to treat for coryza is that you described bad-smelling nasal drainage which can be common in that. Since you don't want to mix drugs in the water, I would get some Tylan50 injection, and after stopping the Duramycin, give 1 ml orally daily for 3-5 days of the Tylan to the sickest birds. This can help to prevent secondary infections. It can be common to have coccidiosis along with one or more respiratory disease. Probiotics and vitamins should be given in the food. Capillaria worms can also cause blood in the stool. You can always get a stool sample checked by your vet to know for sure. Capillaria worms (hairworm) require a higher, longer dosage of fenbendazole (SafeGuard) or other wormer. Here is some info on those diseases:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sulmet dosage:

Chicken and Turkey Dosage: 1 fl oz to each gal of drinking water. Following administration directions on label, this will provide a recommended dose of approximately 61 to 89 mg/lb/day body weight in chickens and 53 to 130 mg/lb/day body weight in turkeys, depending upon the dosage, age and class of chickens or turkeys, ambient temperature and other factors.

Infectious Coryza (in chickens): Medicate for 2 consecutive days.
    Acute Fowl Cholera and Pullorum Disease (in chickens): Medicate for 6 consecutive days.
    Coccidiousis (in chickens and turkeys): Medicate as above for 2 days, then reduce amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half above for 4 additional days.

Sulfadimethoxine dosage:

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Capillaria worms can be treated with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally for 5 days in a row. Levamisol is another drug that will treat it, but SafeGuard is easier to find, and may be safer to use. You won't know for sure that you have them without a fecal test.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Nothing shown indicates a problem with feces. Middle picture is good example of feces that passed straight through the digestive tract. The second is of a typical cecal poop where some of the ingested fibrous material ingested was subjected to prolonged digestion by symbiotic microbes in the cecum. Generally the two types of feces are not excreted at the same time.

7. Nwchickma

Jun 14, 2014
    Westmont, Illinois

Thank you so much for all the info! I went to tractor supply and here is what I have: Tylan 50, Corid, Safegaurd for goats, VetRX, and the Duramycin. I also have Rooster Booster (vitamin, electrolyte, with lacto bacillus) but that says to mix in their water. I bought everything I could. They had Sulmet but they were giant tablets for cows and I wasn't sure that crushing them would work?! I can go back tomorrow.
    Should I stop the Duramycin and give Tylan? Go back and get Sulmet cow tablets?
    Do I wait until the meds are done to worm with safeguard?
    Is safeguard better than Wazine?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks for your help:)

Is it normal to get poops like those everyday? There is tiny amount of red stuff (I assume blood but my dad has a saying about assumptions...), should I be seeing those everyday, my other two never leave me those poops on the droppings board which is why I was concerned.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In your first post you describe what I interpret as yawning (you call gasping for air). Some of what you describe is an artifact of feeding dry feed (consider eating a lot of dry crackers rapidly without something to drink and relate to your observations). About 1 out of 8 defecation's are are the cecal poop variety and some can be of the mixed variety.

Are you seeing other signs of poor health such as eyes being closed a lot, difficulty staying warm, poor feathering, low weight, etc.?

9. Nwchickma

Jun 14, 2014
    Westmont, Illinois

Just some sneezing and the one has a stinky runny nose. They all look great and are eating and drinking great. The one that "yawns" breathes with her mouth open sometimes during the day and it is not warm in my yard. She is the only one doing that.
    Nobody fluffing feathers or huddling together so I think they are ok as far as temperature goes. I think the Wazine killed whatever was causing the bloodier poops. Last week there were a ton in the run with small amounts of blood, now not so much, just those few from over night. So poop looks good now if those are normal! I didn't realize chickens had to be wormed and they were free ranging :confused:. I swear I'm not a total idiot!!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The stinky runny nose could be coryza--it's hard to tell which respiratory disease it could be without testing. Sneezing and runny nose can mean infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, and ILT. With coryza and MG there can be eye and facial swelling. Your tetracycline can treat those, Tylan is better, but if you are seeing improvement with the Duramycin, continue using it. In your stools it looks like a small amount of blood, so if it continues I would treat with the Corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by