Respiratory issues? Rattling, coughing, sneezing. Help!

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi all.

So a couple of my hens have started coughing / sneezing. There is no eye or nasal discharge. They are all eating, drinking and laying normally. The one hen tonight started rattling when breathing (see video). Again, no swelling or discharge anywhere.

Any ideas what this could be?

I have put some VetRX on their nostrils. Electrolytes, ACV, probiotics in their water. And also Tylan (to be safe) for the whole flock. Anything more I should be doing?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) —— Year old RIR hen.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. —— Occasional coughing, sneezing and recently rattling while breathing.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? —— 2 days max.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? —— Yes others are also occasionally coughing / sneezing but no other birds are rattling (yet).

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. —— No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. —— Temperature changes recently where I am. The other night it was 37 degrees, today is was 80 degrees.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. —— They are usually all on layer feed but recently switched to flock raiser as we have babies.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. —— Poop is normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? —— VetRX on nostrils. Electrolytes, probiotics, VetRX and Tylan in their water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? —— Treat myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use —— I use sand / pea gravel in my run, and pine shavings in the coop.

**** All my sick chickens are all a year old and they also have been acting a little strange during the day. They usually stay all together in a flock, but recently they are all over the place, nobody is together. My rooster has been laying down in the most random locations, which is not normal for him.

Back
Top Bottom