Respiratory Issues with my Teen Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MotherofChickensX8, Oct 2, 2017.

1. MotherofChickensX8

MotherofChickensX8 Hatching

Oct 2, 2017
    Hello to all,

Im new to the site, but this site has been so helpful in helping me with my lil chicken family... I currently have 8 Hens and 2 roosters.

I got pullets from TS about 2 months ago.. Was told I had 2 leghorn hens and one barred rock. As the Leghorns got bigger and were growing out of the brooder we moved them outside to the coop, however Our Bilina RIR was not nice and I couldnt take it so after one night i brought them back in, Probably a mistake but I was worried for the Leghorns. As one of them had a pecking injury and were cornering themselves in the corner and not doing anything. The baby barred rock also was super attached and wasnt quite big enough to join her sister in the coop. So all had been ok, and then all of a sudden the Leghorns started sneezing alot, I thought maybe it was bedding as we got this one from a local General Store. Then i noticed that it was yellow nose boogies and a streak of blood, and then they sound kinda coughy with an occasional cluck in there. They are eating and drinking . They are a little more chill then they normally are. I asked some fellow Chicken people and they suggested Tylan 50 and VetRX and to give them some orally and under their wings and around there beak to help them breath better. I have not gave the Tylan just yet as some said to try the VetRX first . I have had such great luck with my ladies and my lil bantam roos , so Im scared I don't wanna lose them to this , I want to make sure Im doing the right thing for them. If anyone has any suggestions please share with me of further steps I may need to take. I been cleaning the bedding wiping it down , Barred rock is separated in another brooder and her and the leghorns are not outside with the others in the Main coop.. Just Brooders in the house . I appreciate any insight I can get ... I just want to do whats best for them . Thanks to all

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have neighbors with chickens or a lot of wild birds that may have brought in a respiratory disease? Some are caused by viruses, such as infectious bronchitis, ILT, and others, and do not respond to antibiotics. If you notice more bloody mucus from the beaks, that can be significant, and could be ILT. Some are bacterial or mycoplasmas, and may respond to an antibiotic such as Tylan. I would give the Tylan ORALLY, not by injection. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. Yours may probably need around 1/2 ml unless they are over 5 pounds. A kitchen scale is handy for getting a weight. Here is a handy list of diseases and symptoms including the ones above to help you decide if you may need antibiotics or not:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @MotherofChickensX8 :frow Welcome To BYC

So, I understand correctly:::
    ---You have 5hens and 1rooster outside. You have 3 - 2month old pullets?
    ---1 of the Leghorn pullets is coughing, sneezing, has mucous with blood (is the mucous still bloody)?
    ---None of the other pullets have any symptoms?
    ---At 2months old, they are still inside in a brooder?

Photos of the pullets and the one that is sick with mucous would be great:)

Did you see any signs of improvement with the VetRx?

The symptoms you describe sounds like a respiratory illness. If the mucous was bloody or if there is blood discharge with the cough , ILT could be the cause, but without testing there is no way to know for sure what you are dealing with.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Antibiotics like Tylan50 can help with any secondary infections associated with illness, but won't cure any illness - most respiratory illnesses make birds carriers for life.
    You can try treating with the Tylan50 to see if there is any improvement - if symptoms worsen or you have one die, it would be best to send a bird to your state lab for testing.

4. MotherofChickensX8

Oct 2, 2017

5. MotherofChickensX8

Oct 2, 2017
    5 Hens 2 Roos outside

3 Pullets inside Cant say for sure how old pullets really are they almost have all feathers the Leghorns are fully feathered now , they spent one night outside in coop and brought them in for about a week now and now sick started 2 days ago.... Barred Rock has not gotten all of her feathers yet.

Both Leghorns are snotty and coughy

As far as the Vetrx , I noticed the girls drank a little more easier since we started it but not a massive improvement .

This is so heartbreaking. I have no idea how it happened... and for future clarification how long do they stay in the brooders typically.

6. MotherofChickensX8

Oct 2, 2017

7. MotherofChickensX8

Oct 2, 2017
    Thank you so much for all this information.

No the neighbors are actually the owners of 2 hens and we own the rest its a coop we all share and take care of... They do have an inside bird that I know of. and there are some Robins that like to hang near our power lines but again they are all outside and the ones with issues are inside. :( I will try out the Tylan today and see how it helps.. I have a book I have been reading and had read there was no cure , but could help with secondary infections. Does this mean I cannot put them out when things have cleared up or would they need a seperate coop ??

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I think both me and @Eggcessive asked if they still have blood in the mucous or bloody coughs - are you still seeing blood?

Are they able to eat - you mention they can drink easier since you started to use the VetRx - were they not able to swallow? Do they have swollen faces/sinus or any type of lesions/plaques inside the beak?

Do the best you can to keep them drinking and eat their chick starter/grower.
    As for whether to put them outside with the others, that would be up to you. It depends on what you are dealing with and what your chicken keeping goals are. Respiratory illnesses are contagious and birds that have been sick or those exposed are considered carriers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: