1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henny Penny 2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Henny Penny 2

Henny Penny 2 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    My 2 1/2 rock hen was being attacked today by the other hens-- I heard the screeches ran to the coop to find her hiding on the side of the coop and the fencing. She had been injured -- her comb and head were bleeding. I immediately grabbed her to see what else was injured to hear her wheezing-- gurgling sounds in her lung. I set up a cage to keep her in and gave her food and water to see if she would eat or drink. I left for a couple of hours and when I came down to check her-- her comb was very pale- she was gasping for air and the wheezing had turned into very loud gurgling... I brought down some antibiotics-- olive oil for her water but by the time I calmed her down she was gone. Can anyone tell me what happened? This was in a period of 4 hrs-- with no prior symptoms.. She had been eating-- running around the coop. The only odd thing I can think of was that the other hens and rooster would not allow her to sleep with them in the boxes they made her stay on the roosting poles... I just saw this as testy territorial hens-- not illness.. so did I miss something? More importantly do I give the others antibiotics even though they have no symptoms?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately without a necropsy it would be hard to tell what happened.

Sometimes chickens will attack another if they are ill or injured. The wheezing an gasping for breath could have been respiratory illness or she could have aspirated feed/water and was having a problem there.

Personally I would not treat anyone with antibiotics until you saw confirmation of some type of illness (runny nose/eyes, coughing, sneezing, wheezing). Just keep an eye on the rest of the flock.

Here's some info on labs you can send her to for testing:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

3. Henny Penny 2

Henny Penny 2 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you. Took your advice- had a necroposy performed yesterday. Initial findings were that she had ovarian cancer where the tumor infiltrated her lymphatic system causing her system to shut down thus the respiratory distress..pathologist says there was nothing I could do..and that this type of cancer is becoming more prevalent. Now have to keep an eye on the others until the pneumonia is viral or bacterial...again thank you for your guidance knowing what happened though difficult to hear was helpful.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the update.

I'm glad you were able to get a necropsy. I'm sure it was hard, but having the peace of mind knowing what happened sounds like it was worth it.
    Chickens are very good at hiding illness, you saw first hand what happens if one shows a slight sign of weakness (they attacked her), this makes it even harder in spotting/catching illness early.

I'm sorry this happened. I do hope the rest of your flock stays happy and healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by