Respiratory issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kullbergs, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kullbergs

Kullbergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    Ok so I'm having a horrible time! My chick has a respiratory issue. Her one eye swollen shut Sunday. I been giving her Tylan. A warm Compress and saline wash it. It is open some now. It has some puss coming out but now a little blood is coming out. I can see her eye though it is not ruptured or anything like that.

Is that good that I see blood, I mean like a human after the puss blood comes????

Zits do that, infected hairs, most stuff....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where did the chick come from? Have you seen any respiratory diseases in other birds before? Is there a bad odor from the chick? How old is it and how much Tylan are you giving it? Sick chicks don't. drink very well, so getting fluids into it, and keeping it warm are important. Are you seeing any sneezing, rattly breathing, nasal drainage, or wheezing?

3. Kullbergs

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    She's about 6 weeks black maran. No smell. A little nasal but not really . It's tylan soluble. I mixed a gallon. The other chicks seem ok but I gave them the tylan too after I separated them. No I have never seen respiratory issues ever in my life in any animal. Ive been doing reading with her symptoms. No sneezing or head shaking. You think something else??? She has some puss drainage from only one eye and today it had a little blood drainage with it. Other eye looks perfect

4. Kullbergs

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    A 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good, so make sure that she is drinking enough.I would clean the eye twice a day. It is possible that she may have been pecked in the eye, and there is infection, or it could be a respiratory infection such as mycoplasma (MG,) or something else. If you could get some antibiotic drops to put in the eye after getting the pus out, it would be good. Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store (ask for it since it is locked up) may help if it is MG. E.coli could be in the eye if it is from pecking, and Tylan and Terramycin won't touch that.

6. Kullbergs

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    Thank you

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow or the next day. Good luck.

8. Kullbergs

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    Thanks it's funny how you get attached so fast.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, the more you handle them if they are sick, the more they get to your heart. I would mix a tiny bit of plain yogurt in a treat or her feed for probiotics daily during and after her antibiotic treatment.

10. Kullbergs

Apr 9, 2015
    Shelton
    Her eye isn't changing much. It's still open a little but not really getting better. I will try thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by