Respiratory issues....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmydux, Apr 16, 2012.

1. luvmydux

luvmydux Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My young chickens that I bought at an auction seem to be very sick. They are breathing very noisily and it sounds very moist. Two out of eight have died. If anyone knows of anything I can do to help, that would be great. They are on medicated chick starter and are very very skinny as well.....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Honestly, I would return them to the seller or just cull. You will most likely not be able to cure this, and they will pass it to any other chickens.

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I'd return them to the seller. I bought one chicken who had respiratory issues and successfully treated her with antibiotics, but since you have 6 of them that may be hard to do

4. luvmydux

Jan 2, 2011
    I am willing to try antibiotics because I can't just cull them. I am not that good yet - hence out of the brooder lol! I have never culled a chicken, ever; but have seen some suffer, I would take suggestions on how but seriously I am a wuss when it comes to that. 2 out of the 6 are sounding bad, the others are just skinny. I will just treat them all if there is something that can go in the water...?? Suggestions would be great! Also, I have a little bit of veterinary knowledge and am thinking this is probably viral? Still willing to try antibiotics though. Just wondered if anyone else has had any luck with this type of thing. Also what are the antibiotics you all normally use? And what dose?

5. luvmydux

Jan 2, 2011
    Also I obtained them from an auction so I will not be able to return them, although I would and wouldn't expect a refund if I could.

6. luvmydux

Jan 2, 2011
    Well, being that I am such a sap and can't bring myself to culling these little chicks, I went and bought VetRx from TSC - a poultry remedy that is supposed to help with respiratory conditions (short term). I also bought some save a chick e-lytes and added them to water along with Duramycin (Tetracycline) an antibiotic. I will keep you posted if I see any progress. Hopefully I get somewhere with this but for right now these are the only chicks allowed in my basement period! Whatever this is, I don't ever want to hear that breathing noise again!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    VetRx is useless. Your birds have a respiratory disease. Even if treated with antibiotics, it may treat the symptoms but not cure the disease. Your birds will remain carriers and will transmit the disease to other birds. Most respiratory diseases can be carried on clothing, shoes, hands, even airborne. Waterers and feeders can be contaminated as well. Biosecurity is of the utmost importance.
    Additionally, sick birds dont drink medicated water or dont drink enough of it to be effective. I recommend that you cull them, disinfect everything and start over a couple months later.

8. luvmydux

Jan 2, 2011
    Dawg - I respect your opinion. I will try to work myself up for this......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by