1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory or Canker issue advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aerielle, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Aerielle

Aerielle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Hello everyone. I have a broody silkie who I happened to catch sneezing rather heavily this week. During the big sneeze I noticed what appeared to be a cheese plug down the back of her throat. I immediately isolated her and she coughed up a big phlegm ball with some cheese streaks in it and foamed at the mouth.

Started her on Tylan50 orally, vitamin water rotated with ACV water, and soft foods. Her first bowel movement was watery and loose with some of the cheesy material in it. I ordered Meditrich but it will take 2 weeks to arrive. Also giving her warm VetRx on her nose.

She's on day 3 of Tylan and her stool looks back to normal, opened her mouth and didn't see and of the cheese plug anymore. No sneezing and eating well but still does the penguin stance often. Also dosing the other broody hen she had partnered with.

Realizing canker is contagious through water/feed I've upped the ACV and changing water twice a day. Two other pullets occasionally do the penguin stance- head back and gulping. I'm about to do a garlic/onion/parsley/watercress/apple/yogurt/flax superfood treat for everyone too.

My question is do I still treat with the Meditrich once it arrives, even if it looks like her symptoms have cleared? Should I treat my whole flock? They seem to have the sniffles, we had a big rainstorm and it was damp for 5 days. It is a mixed flock with 2 week old babies who appear to be healthy.

Thanks for any advice. My friends are starting o call me the crazy chicken lady because I'm in the coop so much checking for sneezing and poop quality!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a vet that could see her? I would wonder if she has canker in the first place, especially since she has improved with Tylan. I haven't seen any disease in my flock, but I know canker catches in the mouth can also look like wet pox patches. Also a respiratory disease like mycoplasma or coryza can produce pus pockets in the sinus cavity which could have been what you saw. Your vet might be able to do a swab of any pus or yellow patch, and test it for canker before you treat for that. If you are certain it is canker, you can start treating their water once a month with acidified copper sulfate 1/4 teaspoonful for 3 days out of every month to help prevent new cases orc recurrence in the flock. Jefferspet.com online sells it.
    [​IMG]

3. Aerielle

Aerielle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Orange, CA
    I'm not sure if its canker now since I don't see the plaque anymore. Vet is out of my budget this month unfortunately, and I already ordered the Meditrich too, ugh. Well at least ill add it to my ever growing emergency kit. I've been reading up on copper sulfate, thanks for the reco - again!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by