Respiratory Problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Darkfeather, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Darkfeather

Darkfeather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    I have a RIR rooster that's making gurgly/raspy sounds when he breathes. He's been doing this for awhile but it started out faint and has gotten louder.

He acts fine, eats, etc, but it's a bit concerning. I opened his mouth but nothing looked abnormal.

Any ideas?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like he has a mild (for now) respiratory disease. Diseases like that can last for weeks, months, or even for the bird's entire life, at times causing harm and other times not. Since you say the gurgling/raspy noises are getting worse, I would begin treatment. The best treatment for respiratory diseases are broad-spectrum antibiotics like Tylan50 injectable and oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.). The Tylan50 is stronger and usually more effective, but you can try either one.

The dosage for oxytetracycline varies depending on the product; I do know that the tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of drinking water given for 7-14 days. Improvement should be seen after 3-5 days, but continue treating for the entire recommended period. The Tylan50 injectable dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small needle to avoid making the injection area sore. Improvement should be seen after 1-3 days. Do not give dairy products or probiotics during antibiotic treatment.

Keep in mind, though, that if the disease is viral, antibiotics will have no effect. Antibiotics in such cases will only help prevent secondary infection; the bird will have to fight off the disease itself on its own.

As with humans with a cold, supportive care can also help treat respiratory diseases. Isolate your rooster in a clean, warm place. Put some vitamins in his water, and encourage him to eat plenty of nutritious food. Try to minimize stressing him out; just let him rest in peace. Along with making it easier to care just for him, isolation will also help prevent other birds in the flock from becoming infected with the same disease--respiratory diseases are generally very contagious.

If not a disease, there are a few other causes of respiratory problems. First of all, how dusty is your coop? Dust can irritate the respiratory tract of birds if it is in high enough concentrations. High levels of ammonia can also cause the same thing--make sure the coop is clean.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Bantamlover21. Make sure to keep him isolated, as respiratory diseases can spread quickly, and are sometimes serious.

4. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    My banty hen is having a similar problem, when i pick her up i can hear her rasping and instead of cherping or clucking she is making this weird honking sound... i think my whole flock has some sort of respiratory problem i am going to put them on Terramycin. Could her sounds be affected by this? and also i have standard and bantam birds in one flock is it safe to give the recommended dosage to all or should i seperate them?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, her sounds could be affected by the respiratory disease. Its all right to give the entire flock the same dosage--they won't overdose. Smaller birds will drink less and get less of the antibiotic, while larger birds will get more and get more of the antibiotic.

1 person likes this.
  6. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    okay thanks and how long after i stop giving it to them do i have to wait to eat eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by