respiratory problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moinwa, Aug 19, 2014.

1. moinwa

moinwa New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    I just started raising chicks in May. (1 RIR, 1Barred Rock, 1 white one that I think is a White Rock and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte) I love this sight. This is my first post so I hope you all can help.

Four days ago, I brought home some new chickens, 3 chicks( 1 Black Australorp, 1 Golden Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Plymouth Rock)and an Ameraucana Rooster.

Yesterday I heard a sound like a short raspy "cough" from the A-lorp and the Partridge. They are also lethargic, they don't want to leave the coop with the rest of the chickens. They still seem to be eating and drinking well. I put a cage around them, inside the coop, with their own water and food.
    I tried taking them outside for a little while but after a few minutes they just stood there with their eyes closed like they were sleeping on their feet.
    The A-lorp also has a lot of dried poo on its feathers around the vent and pretty bad diarrhea.
    Tonight, as I was watching the girls and the roo settle down for the night, I heard the White Rock make the same "coughing" sound.

Should I put some antibiotics in the water or start injecting the sick ones or maybe do both?
    Thank You

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid that's not going to be an effective quarantine for them. You might consider having them tested to find out exactly what they have. Giving an antibiotic without knowing what you are treying to treat is never a good idea. Here are some links on respiratory illness and other disease in chickens:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/respiratory-illness-in-chickens.html

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

3. moinwa

moinwa New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    After reading up on respiratory illnesses, I went out and examined the chicks a little more carefully.
    There is no discharge from the nostrils nor any foul smell from the face. The eyes don't seem to be particularly watery. One chick has diarrhea and lethargy and a cough but no weezing. The other chick has the cough and now one swollen eye and lethargy. It starting to look like Avian Flu to me. Does anyone else have a different opinion? Do I need to call out a vet to do tests or does the state/county get involved in possible bird flu cases? I know there's no cure for the flu and they will be carriers, if they have it. I hate to do it but is culling better, if they are positive, for the long term health of the rest of the flock and any new members?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Avian flu is extremely unlikely. MG and a couple of others are pretty common -- but I really don't know a lot about the differences between these diseases, and in the end you will not know without testing, anyway. Yes, the state/county gets involved. You can try contacting your county extension agent or your State vet's office or State Ag university. If you happen to be in Calif, for example, I believe it's U of C at Davis that handles these things. They will also do a necropsy for a small fee. Your family vet might know the best person to contact.

Here is a U of Fl document specifically about MG:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Some old time chicken keepers would just cull, I'm afraid, then disinfect and wait a while before repopulating. Other people choose to treat and maintain a closed flock (no birds or hatching eggs ever leave the property.) This is a personal choice -- unless the disease requires culling in your area.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. It is always sad. You wouldn't be the first one here to go through culling a flock.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where did you get the chicks that are sick? Have you contacted the seller? I'm afraid that your other chickens could now be at risk, so you really need to get the sick ones away from them, and isolate them as far away as possible. As Judy said, new chickens should always be quarantined, and most do that at least 30 or more days before combining flocks, so as not to infect everyone. Most respiratory diseases will make carriers of a whole flock, so knowing what you have would be good. I haven't personally treated respiratory diseases in my flock, but it is very easy to bring one home from buying chicks or older chickens from unknown breeders or from swap meets. When there is coughing, eye swelling, I would think it may be MG or coryza. Coryza tends to smell very rotten, apparently. Antibiotics may treat symptoms, and some may recover, but will still be carriers. Chicks with respiratory disease may well also have cocci. Sorry that you are dealing with this, and unfortunately this happens all to often. I hope your other chickens don't become ill. Give them vitamins and probiotics in their water to make sure they can build up their immunity to fight off diseases.

6. moinwa

moinwa New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks for all of the advice. The new chicks seemed fine when I bought them but now I know to quarantine. I fear that it's too late to stop the others from getting sick. The white rock started coughing yesterday and the SL Wyandotte coughed this morning and sneezed tonight and they both have diarrhea now.
    I spent a lot of time today on the phone with the county extension office (they do necropsy) and talking to vets but none of the vets seem particularly comfortable dealing with chickens.
    When I got home today, none of the chicks were in the coop or run. I found a board, along the bottom, pulled back. I'm guessing a raccoon did it. I found the golden wyandotte chick but the rest are missing. :( Maybe it's better since they were all sick anyway. The GW chick hasn't shown any symptoms yet.
    I don't think it's coryza since I smelled the chicks' faces and didn't smell anything. Cocci was my first guess,before I did any research, and I went ahead and put Corid 9.6% in their water but I haven't seen any bloody poop so I don't think it's Cocci either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by