Respiratory symptoms in my pullets and hen: noisy breathing, constant

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheekyChicky44, Oct 10, 2011.

1. CheekyChicky44

CheekyChicky44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I recently brought home a Well Summer and Rhode Island Red pullet, as company for my Barred Rock, who lost her flock to a dog. The Well Summer has very noisy breathing but shows no other symptoms other than a slight clear nasal discharge. The hen had stopped eating and was lethargic and non responsive for a week, she was quarantined and given an antibiotic for a week, a month ago and seemed to improve, but she still is yawning and swallowing often and too has a slight clear nasal discharge, and sneezes occasionally. Also when she clucks at the other two, to tell them that she is boss, she sounds a little gargled like there is some fluids in her throat.
    The symptoms began to appear about five weeks ago and have not gone away. The Rhode Island Red seems to be doing fine and does not show the same symptoms. They are eating normally now, and I have been trying to spoil them with veggies and egg yoke. Their poop looks fine now but the Well Summer’s is slightly discolored (brownish), and watery.
    I am just wondering if these are seasonal symptoms, caused by the change in weather, or if this is a cold, and if it is, if there is anything I can do to help them get better sooner. I was also thinking that possibly it may by worms in their respiratory system and was planning on worming them. I just don’t want them to get as sick as the one hen was last month. Any suggestions would be appreciated; I am a new chicken owner and want to keep my little flock as healthy as possible. [​IMG] Thank You

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. CheekyChicky44

CheekyChicky44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I followed the link and read your post, thanks for the keen observation. They did start acting like that right when we were getting our hot spell in western Washington. It is continuously misty or raining now so I think that is contributing to the mold and fungus spores, plus we had our ducks in with them during the summer too and they pretty much get everything wet. I will follow the other links and let you know what I find out [​IMG]. Thank You!

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Speckledhen,

I have a 5 mo lakenvelder that just started gaping this morning...not sure if it's a fungal infection or something else, it could be she inhaled some dust from the wood shavings I just put down so I'll watch her. But I have a question...can Oxine be used in a vaporizer rather than the expensive misting/nebulizing equipment? I think that would be OK, since it is similar to misting the birds, but just wanted your opinion.

It has been wet here in OR the last week or so, and just started drying out in the last couple days. It's still fall temps so warm enough for molds to still do their jobs. No other chicken is showing any symptoms.

Unfortunately for me, I have to order Oxine, none of the bigger feed stores carry it.

Thanks!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

can Oxine be used in a vaporizer rather than the expensive misting/nebulizing equipment?

Yes. Use a cool mist vaporizer, not a steam one.​

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, good tip, much cheaper than the one made for it...holy cow! Maybe I can even find one on craigslist by the time the oxine arrives.

Goldie is still wheezing and I have her in a crate in the basement, kind of dark to keep her calm and reduce egg laying stress. No other symptoms so far other than her comb is a little floppier than usual and maybe a bit more pink than her normal red. The fact that I could get close enough to pick her up, twice, shows me she's not 100%. She's a typical GL, a bit skittish.

I figure even if it's not fungus, if she has bacteria or virus in her lungs and she breathes in the Oxine, it will kill them too. Such a miracle 'drug' and yet none of the feed stores around here seem to have heard of it?

ETA: What can I do for her in the mean time? I ordered the oxine but it won't be here for up to a week!

Thank goodness she was a healthy, happy pullet so hopefully she will be fine.

It just seems like it's one thing after another (mostly cocci)...glad I'm home for a long spell to keep an eye on everyone.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by