respiratory symptoms- not getting better

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mazchickybabes, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mazchickybabes

Mazchickybabes Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Hi all. I have a silkie pullet who started out sneezing, with bubbly eyes a few weeks ago. I tried Oxytetracycline with no luck except the bubbly eyes have gone away. I have been using VetRX as well. I am now on day four of Tylan50 orally with no improvement. She is sneezing and congested but her energy is fine and she's eating and drinking.

I have no idea what to make of this, or what to do for her.

Thank you in advance!

2. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I recently lost one of my cockerals to this (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, as indicated by the bubbly eyes). I had him on Tylan 50 for 6 days and he just didn't respond or improve at all :( Hoping the best for y'all!

3. Mazchickybabes

Aug 18, 2016
    I'm sorry to hear that =( How was he acting? The strange thing is she seems fine other than the sneezing and congestion. I just don't know what to do with her. It's not like she seems like she's fading at all, and at this point its been weeks.

4. Mazchickybabes

Aug 18, 2016
    the other question i have is what to do with this bird in general... To buy the next med i'd try (denagard) costs the same as euthanizing here at the vet. I would love to save her if all of my birds were infected but I can't be sure.

on the drive home with this girl she sneezed so I never took her to the others. they've been separate but from what I understand that's likely not enough to keep the others from getting whatever it is she has.

If I cull her, are the others infected anyway?

5. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Well, we actually ended up culling him even though behavior-wise he was no different then before he got sick (eating, drinking, other chickens weren't rejecting him) and seemed to be as healthy as the other chickens. However, he was in obvious pain when he scratched his foamy eye that eventually became really nasty, waterlogged from all of the leaking, and eventually really infected. We made the difficult decision to cull based on several factors. 1.) with MG, even if he gets over it, he will always be a carrier. This means he can become sick again at anytime. 2.) also he can infect the others and MG can have detrimental effects on young birds and laying birds. 3.) he's obviously susceptible to the bacteria, and could potentially pass on the low tolerance to offspring.

All those factors in conjunction with the fact that he was not responding to the meds was cause enough for us to make the decision to cull him.

I was told that if one has it the others likely have it but may not be susceptible to it if they were in contact. It can also be spread by people just walking from an infected area to an uninfected area, and lastly, by wild birds which we have no control over. I suspect that's where mine may have come from. But I don't think there's any way to know for sure if none of the others are symptomatic.

6. Mazchickybabes

Aug 18, 2016
    ugh. Yes. I have no idea how exactly we would cull her because i've never done it. If the others already have it i'd say lets just give her everything we've got. they show no signs so it's difficult for me to know.

7. Lincityfarmette

Lincityfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    I had chicks with bubbly eyes and not eating or drinking. they would make motions of eating or drinking but not actually doing it. Beak movement but no move to water or food. Neosporin for the eyes several times per day. some force water and feed. dripped water with straw not forcing down throat. Fed cooked egg, yogurt, soaked mush like feed or oatmeal.some sneezing/coughing.Also put garlic in food or water, oregano, and coconut oil in food. one of the best things I added in desperation was one of my vegetarian Superfood vitiamins. The worst cases seem to perk up with this.( Dr. Schultze's). of course Apple cider vinegar in water on some days when not loaded with so much else.Before I would give up I sometimes resorted antibiotics. No I did not get a professional diagnosis. But nearly every babe of 3 to 5 months pulled through. I kept a few inside for quiet and extra care. This seems to help a lot through any sickness. Darkness and quiet.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Check out the LT Virus....I have it here with my birds..No cure other than culling..I have not culled...I give antibiotics until symptoms go away. Oxy TETRA-A is what was recommended to me by a poultry Vet...The down fall is I can not buy new birds of sell mine...

Scary when our birds get sick...Chickens carry many diseases that do not show up till times of stress....

Best of luck...

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Way too many bacteria are resistant to oxytetracycline, and Tylan only treats a few bacteria. How bad is she sneezeing? Is she still eating, drinking, gaining weight, and acting normal? If so, might be best to let it run it's course. If she is ill, you could try Baytril or Denagard. Baytril is banned for use in poultry so you would have to think about that.

Generic Baytril (enrofloxacin) - No prescription needed:

-Kathy

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your right...Oxy Tetra-a will not cure my birds...During an out break it does help with symptoms being the disease if left untreated can become so bad that they die..A Bio-security Vet for Poultry and Swine recommended I cull my entire flock of 11 pullets and wait six weeks and start over...He understood my hesitation to do so and told me to give them OXY TETRA-A...Who knows if they will make it over winter?
    I will see how things go...I hope the OP has great luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by