Respiratory Symptoms Since Winter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldCrookedToe, Apr 11, 2017.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    My oldest rooster (2.5) and a 1 year old hen have been showing different respiratory symptoms since winter. The rooster gurgles/rattles when he breathes but acts good. The hen has been shaking her head really fast while making a sneezing sound but also acts good. I thought gapeworms but then found out gapeworms are rare and my chickens would've been dead by now if it were that. Now I've got some hens sneezing every now and then whereas they never used to. The thing is that everyone is acting perfect and it's really slow to develop if it develops at all. I'm taking to rooster to a vet to check him out and see if I can get powdered antibiotics for the whole flock.
    Do you think it's a respiratory infection? I've never had a respiratory infection be this slow and unnoticeable. If not, then what do you think it is? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Powder antibiotics in the water may not help if they are not drinking well which is typical in sick birds. You can still purchase injectable Tylan 50 at most feed stores in the cattle section. Get some 3 ml syringes with 20 gauge needles, and give them 0.25 ml of Tylan 50 for every 2.5 pounds of weight ORALLY (take off the needle first of course.) twice a day to each of the 2 sick chickens, but not to the others.Oral Tylan workss well, but you can also give shot if you prefer. This may help symptoms of a bacterial infection, but it will not help if they have a virus. Maximize your overhead coop ventilation, and prevent wet spot and mold, and dusty conditions that will help prevent respiratory issues.

3. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    The coop stays clean and I air out the straw before it gets put in the minimize dust. I'm switching to sand soon when the new coop gets here. They're drinking and eating good. I don't use DE either. I have Tylan50 so I think after the vet tomorrow I might use it depending on what she says. I'm hoping she can do a test and see if it's bacterial, viral, parasitical, etc.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know what they find. It sounds bacterial by the symptoms so far, but there can be both virus and bacteria present together. I don't recommend treating birds that are not having symptoms.

5. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I'll tell you what she says. I haven't treated anyone because I can't for sure tell if it's worms, respiratory infection, virus, etc. I want to figure out what it is so I can knock it out ASAP. I have little juveniles in the flock and I want to make sure they don't come down with anything.

6. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    It's a respiratory infection + he's got mites and lice again. He's also 14.1 pounds!

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Good..now you know what you are dealing with.
    Hopefully you can fix them up quickly!

What did you use to get rid f the mites and lice last time?
    Did you treat your coop really good?

8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    What breed is he?
    Can you post a pick of him?
    He sounds huge!

9. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I used permectrin ii on them and on the coop and run. It killed the nits but apparently some adults lived and restarted their little colony :/ I treated everyone (and treated again exactly 2 weeks later) but I think I'll use something else this time around

10. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He's a red ranger broiler, about 23-34 inches tall. He's wide like a brahma but so gentle and easy to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by