Respiratory symptoms young cockerel

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
How do you know if and when to treat for respiratory infection? I have a 12 week old cockerel that seems like he has a stuffy nose! He was making whistling sounds when breathing and also breaths loudly like his nose is stuffy , there is no nasal discharge or eye bubbles and I listen to his back and I don’t hear any congestion or crackling ! But I can clearing hear him breathing loud! Can this just be a cold that will pass or something that needs to be treated? He is in grow out pen with 9 others ! Would they be infected by now also? And if I should treat with what and how much he’s pretty little he’s a silkie mix , I’ve never given injections before kinda nervous about that ! Would rather add something to water ! Thank you in advance

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Can you see if his nostrils are clear? Is he having loud high pitched noises when he breathes? There is a sound called stridor that chickens can make if there is mucus or swelling in the airway, even a piece of food. Do not jump to antibiotics so soon, since bacterial infections may cause worse symptoms. If he has a virus, antibiotics will not help. Most antibiotcs have to come from a vet. Testing may be done by your vet or state poultry lab to identify the disease. Have you had them long? Have you seen any other chickens in the past with respiratory infection? Here is a good list of common diseases, and read about mycoplasma gallisepticum, infectious bronchitis, ILT, infectious coryza, and aspergillosis:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The video below in post 1 is stridor:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-w-possible-stridor.1218528/

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
Can you see if his nostrils are clear? Is he having loud high pitched noises when he breathes? There is a sound called stridor that chickens can make if there is mucus or swelling in the airway, even a piece of food. Do not jump to antibiotics so soon, since bacterial infections may cause worse symptoms. If he has a virus, antibiotics will not help. Most antibiotcs have to come from a vet. Testing may be done by your vet or state poultry lab to identify the disease. Have you had them long? Have you seen any other chickens in the past with respiratory infection? Here is a good list of common diseases, and read about mycoplasma gallisepticum, infectious bronchitis, ILT, infectious coryza, and aspergillosis:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The video below in post 1 is stridor:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-w-possible-stridor.1218528/
Thank you for responding, I don’t want to do antibiotics I’m not one for unnecessary medicating I’m just not sure what to look for and how to tell if needed! I’ve had them since hatch they are 12 weeks old I’ve looked at his nostrils and they look fine / normal he’s eating and drinking and active not laying around however I keep hearing these raspy noises coming from him not always though cause I pick him up and hold him to listen closely and don’t hear anything but sometimes sounds like it’s hard for him to breath it’s weird!! It is cold here and very windy? The little boy I’m talking about is my avatar and I love him I just don’t want him to be sick or any of them for that matter! I don’t believe in jumping to antibiotics is the answer as it is not always effective it’s the same with humans, however I’m on the fb poultry vet site and it seems that ppl use antibiotics pretty quickly there and I’m just wondering if I’m doing the right thing not to use them !! I’m just always confused what to do and not do and I want the best for my chickens if that makes any sense?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Antibiotics can help treat symptoms of MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) and coryza. Symptoms of MG can include bubbles or dunk in an eye, nasal drainage, or swelling in the face or around an eye. Antibiotics will not treat viruses (ILT and the most common disease, infectious bronchitis,) or fungal infections such as aspergillosis. Look at your overhead coop ventilation, and for damp bedding where mold can be a problem, or for ammonia odors from soiled bedding. Those can all make respiratory infections more common. Also look for anything environmental that might be causing symptoms.

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
Antibiotics can help treat symptoms of MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) and coryza. Symptoms of MG can include bubbles or dunk in an eye, nasal drainage, or swelling in the face or around an eye. Antibiotics will not treat viruses (ILT and the most common disease, infectious bronchitis,) or fungal infections such as aspergillosis. Look at your overhead coop ventilation, and for damp bedding where mold can be a problem, or for ammonia odors from soiled bedding. Those can all make respiratory infections more common. Also look for anything environmental that might be causing symptoms.
Thank you very Much I will look into all of this!

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
My ventilation is good I think? I have a metal roof i dont know what it’s called it’s not flat it has open spaces all along roof where it bends also I put 2 in round holes along top with a hole drill again don’t know name used to make door knob holes!! My bedding is all brand new for I just did a total clean out! No ammonia , i dont know about mold but I check for that , it has been raining/ snowing here it’s wet outside but not in coop so not sure what it could be ? Maybe dusty? Anyway as long as I dont see other symptoms as bubbles in eyes or swelling and discharge I don’t need to do anything? I was thinking on just misting them with oxine but wasn’t sure that should be done in cold weather?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Oxine without the activator, is said to be helpful with fungal infections. Some use it with a vaporizer while some have mentioned using it in a spray bottle twice a day. I have not experience with it. It sounds like your coop is good. Ventilation is very helpful, from one end of the coop to the other.

Mama fluff

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Pennsylvania
Top Bottom