Respiratory treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gonehencrazy, Aug 30, 2016.

1. gonehencrazy

gonehencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    Aug 2 my dad brought two new pullets home from the feed store. One was sick. I treated both girls with Tetracycline that we got at the feed store. Took about a week and it cleared up. Yesterday I moved them from quarantine to the intro pen. Now I hear the second pullet rattling!! I'm going to put the tetracycline back in the water!! But y is she getting sick?! It had been hot and they were in a rabbit hutch...a big one but no "turnout." Could this just be from the conditions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases in chickens, which include MG snd coryza (bacterial diseases,) ILT and bronchitis (viral diseases,) and aspergillosis are common in chickens. All but the last one are contagious and can make chickens carriers for months or life. Some are chronic and can come back again. You may want to get some testing by your local extension agent or vet to find out what it is. Closing the flock to new birds can help to contain the disease until all birds are eventually gone.

3. gonehencrazy

gonehencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016

So basically I shouldn't introduce these two pullets ever?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    My advice: cull those two birds immediately and thoroughly wash everything they came into contact with.

If you put the two new infected birds in with your existing flock, they will ALL get sick. As Eggcessive said, respiratory diseases are with the birds for life. There's no cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by