RESPIRATORY? VIDEO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by llefave, Apr 5, 2018.

1. llefave

llefave In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2015
    I have a sick chicken. This is the third day.

She has been brought in to a crate, given
    Tylan 50 1/2 cc once a day (started twice a day today)
    VetRx
    probiotics & electrolytes in water - I force this in her every few hours. She hates me doing it

She has crumbles, sun flour, eggs, chicken, cottage cheese and berries. Last evening and evening before she ate a few seeds and drank a bit of water. Other than that she doesn't touch anything.

She lays around all day and refuses anything unless I force water.

She is getting weaker and I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has a clue what could be the issue and if there is something else I should do. Not chicken vets for hours.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She has stridor (the noise she is making) which is from something partially blocking her airway, such as a mucus plug, swollen or narrowed tissue in the trachea, or a piece of food. She really needs to drink fluids, and by sticking a small cup up to her beak often, or mixing a lot of water into her feed in a small bowl can help. Respiratory diseases can be from a virus, a bacteria, or fungus. The Tylan can help symptoms of MG, but it wouldn’t help with ILT or some of the other viruses. How much does she weigh? You can give her Tylan 50 a 1/4 cc or ml per pound up to 2-3 times a day for 5 days. She may be a carrier for life, and she could become ill again if she is ever stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: