1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiratory/Worms/?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cincyhens, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Cincyhens

Cincyhens New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    We had three hens one and a half years old. We thought one hen was going broody as she stopped laying six weeks ago. A week ago we noticed she was no longer eating, sleeping on the ground and sitting most of the time. Her comb became very dull. We pulled her away from the others five days ago. She appeared to be drinking but not eating and started having trouble breathing. Three days after she was gone.

One of our other hens seems to be eating well with a nice red comb. The other is eating very little and has not laid in ten days and I'm becoming concerned that she is heading down a similar path as our dearly departed hen. She has lost all of her tail feathers as I believe the hen who passed away did. The hen who passed away also lost some feathers off of the middle of her back but nowhere else. Due to the lack of eating I was unable to determine anything from her droppings (or lack of droppings).

Any thoughts or advice? Do respiratory issues present themselves with losing feathers and not eating? Did another illness lead to the respiratory distress of our departed hen? Do worms begin this way and become a respiratory issue? Is there a recommended antibiotic or other medicine I should be considering, either way?

Thank you.

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    What kind of "trouble breathing" was it? Gasping, coughing, rattling, straining, and wheezing are all different symptoms that could indicate different illnesses. If she started breathing with her neck outstretched and wheezing, it could have been gapeworm. Here's a video of what it looks like.

3. Cincyhens

Cincyhens New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    She was breathing very quickly with short breaths. She did not seem to be stretching her neck as shown in the video. I didn't hear wheezing or rattling but that's not to say it wasn't there. There was no coughing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by