1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiritory Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hcammack, Jan 14, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi,
    My silkie and Marans died this week and I was wondering if possibly it was a respritory thing instead of a predator attack or pecking. The Marans was wheezing and both had discharge from their mouths (I honestly thought their brains were coming out). I really want to treat my whole flock for something if thats what it is but I don't really know how. Where do I get antibiotics? How much? what type?

Thanks,
    Henry

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It appeared as if their brains were coming out of their mouths? Holy cow - that must have freaked you out!

There are SO darn many respiratory diseases out there. I've had issues with respiratory things, and they are VERY hard to control, IMO. I've taken birds to the vet and gotten meds from them, but honestly I've lost as many that I've taken to the vet as I have just treating myself. I was at my wit's end last year.

The one antibiotic that worked best for me was water soluble Tylan. It also comes in an injectable form, which I believe is probably better, because with the water soluble, you need to make sure they are drinking enough of it to be effective. You can get Tylan at Strombergs or First State Vet online.

I think lots of folks will say that you really need to take it in to your closest avian vet, so they can culture and know for sure what you are treating. GOOD LUCK!

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I am getting some Tylan today at the feed store. I really hope it was something else but I may as well try and get my bases covered. I have never been able to find a poultry vet to treat when they are alive but if another one dies I will send in to University of MD or JHU for necropsy and testing.

Thanks,
    Henry

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Good luck, Henry - please keep us posted!! [​IMG]

5. What kind of discharge and what color was it. Did the chickens heads smell like something dead ?

Antibiotics will treat NON viral diseases only.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:It was yellowish red dishcharge. I have no idea how to tell if its viral or not? The chicken did smell dead but it wasn't rotten or anything I didn't really notice a smell either. Should I take pictures the Marans was stiff this morning when I found her and I also have the silkie still I am throwing the bodies away soon but thought I should keep them. If pictures will help I will get them?

Thanks,
    Henry

7. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I'm glad you got in on this, rimshoes. I was just about to post a link to your byc page.

If you haven't already, hcammack, check out rimshoe's info. It might help you narrow down the possible causes. There's a great symptom chart.

I hope you are able to get this cleared up. I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

Melody

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I checked out the page. I am just a bit confounded still because the only clinical signs are sneezing I checked all the other birds for gasping. Their is now blue comb and no swelling on the head and neck. The bird that died had trouble walking but only for about an hour before she passed away. My other birds are sneezing but are not showing any other symptoms. I don't think it is cryoza because their was not swelling or blue comb and I have heard that this is a main symptom of that. The only signs exibited were the stumbling and sneezing and stumbling only happened right before death. These were 14 week old pullets I am not sure if they are two small I may post pictures soon. If their growth was retarded and I treat what ever they are being effected by will they catch up? I am going to try Tylan incase it is a bacterial infection. What should I do if that doesn't work and it is a viral infection cull my whole flock?

Thanks,
    Henry

9. Hello:

The charts and things on the BYC page are just a start and hopefully people will find enough information to start a search on thier problem.

I am concerned about a toxin. This may not be a disease AT ALL.
    It may be a poison, botulism, ammonia in high concentrations and finally a gatril intestinal situataion. What does the birds poop look like?

If you can not relate to any of the respiratory diesease, then you need to go to the chickens digestive tract for an answer.

Also, not all respiratory diseases have a high mortality rate. MG, CRD is contagious, it is brought in by "carriers" and the birds usually recover, they just become ANOTHER "carrier"

I am presently suspecting CRD in my flock. I WILL NOT allow any bird in, unless I have conciously made the decision to they are not going to leave the flock until death.

I have a small flock, mostly babies, but some adults that are not exposed to the main flock. I am very careful with cross contamination. Many of these guys are going to new homes so I do not have to expose them. I have about 14 that will stay seperated until I can find out what I have. I should just give them away too, but darn they are cute.

I have a roo that was extremly sick and I nursed him back to health. I probably should have culled him. He is the PICTURE of health, but I know he is a carrier in one way or another.

I have gotten sick birds from other people and I just have to live with it now.

10. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like Coryza but a necropsy would be your best bet to find out for sure. If it is Coryza you can get Baytril from you vet for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by