Respitory Infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Klwright1122, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    i have several chickens that have developed respitory symptoms right now. Last year I vacinnated my hatch for Newcastle-bronchitis and in doing so many of them developed symptoms and died. They shared that with my existing flock and I am still dealing with it. Periodically they get the runny nose and sneezing thing but aren't dying anymore. I usually treat with Tylan for 7-10 days until its better. But now, I am thinking about culling them as their symptoms ocurr.
    I am curious--will I ever get ahead of this...or will all my chickens develope this? I have another hatch this spring, and I am afraid of what is going to happen.
    I plan on cleaning the coop and disinfecting it with white vinegar--but whats the reality of "really" disinfecting anything? it is a wood floor coop, the other one is dirt floor....and of course, I have a large chicken run, probably 40x75 feet--can't disinfect that.

Originally when I got my chickens it was for eggs. But with the second order, I was given a free Cornish Rooster who is big, and mean. I wanted to breed him with some Rocks and put them (and him) in freezer camp.
    But, I guess I can't or shouldnt put any of these birds in the freezer since some have had symptoms of respitory infection and all have been vaccinated and/or treated with antiobiotics? I am at a loss on what to do. I am not niave enough to think that the chicken we buy from the grocery store is not ever sick or exposed to things prior to its processing....but....
    any advice?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Cull the flock and start fresh. It sounds like you have CRD in your flock.

3. Klwright1122

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    Good grief...so...their coop and run, do I need to be concerned about the new flock in the old stomping grounds?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    What is your plan for disinfecting the space?

5. Klwright1122

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    It seems to be a daunting and nearly impossible task. The run is probably 40x75 and there are actually 2 coops side by side. One dirt floor the other is a wood floor. I had read an article yesterday about disinfecting with white vinegar. I guess i'll remove all the bedding and scrape down whatever is dried on to the floors w a shovel...and scrub the place down with vinegar and water. The dirt floor will be a bit harder...but I guess I can dig down about 5-6 inches and remove the dirt floor and replace with shavings and other stuff. I have a pile of chipped tree material I brought in a few years ago that has composted nicely in the back pasture that I can replace it with. But I don't see me doing that for the huge run they have. I am one person without any heavy equipment. So unless there is something I can spread on their run like DE or something similar, That will eradicate it then I am at a loss on what to do. Surely others have come up against this...what have you all done?
    **also, for those birds that don't and have never taken on symptoms, can those be processed and eaten? My entire flock is about 40 birds....but about half a dozen have runny noses and sneezing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You may want to look up some posts by foxypoproxy or send her a PM. She recently had to disinfect after her flock was culled for CRD. She could tell you the steps she took to disinfect her coop and runs. I believe she bleached the coop and spread hydrated lime in the runs, but you can double check by looking at her postings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by