respitory issue just starting..need advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChknHeadChknFed, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ChknHeadChknFed

ChknHeadChknFed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Man I really didn't quit understand how much there was/is to learn about my girls! This site is invaluable....
    I have to close my flock as of today ,and I've only just got my girls in late June, they are only about, 7 months old and They are just developing a respiratory infection illness of some type...UUGGGHHHH.....I really don't want to cull any of my girls.. I only have three..

It started about a week ago with one of them just sneezing here and there. I've been keeping an eye n her.. I've notice vent gleet and was just starting to treat that with Apple cider vinegar and adding oatmeal to their diet.. I thought maybe she was allregic to the pine shavings or the hay in the run, So that is both going tomorrow,regardless.

Now, I've noticed all o them are sneezing, and the original girl is now .. coughing?.And her cluck sounds congested and stuffy.. There has not been any discharge as of yet and their eyes are not goopey at all either. They seem to have healthy appetites and are not lethargic yet.....but i fear it's coming...

I'm so lost!. There Isn't an Avian vet near me and they are a mint from what I hear. I'm a quick study and have been researching the snot out of every thing. They are not pets but i do care about them. If i let them too close it will be too hard for me to cull if need be as I am a huge softy. There are so many different things that could be gong on. I now know for sure it's a respiratory issue...

I was trying to stay away from anti-biotics but now it seems there is no choice. What would you all suggest.. I can look up the dosing ect. What would you guys do in my situation? My Hubby and i will be locking the girls in the run for the day and I will muck out the coop, I have an incredible natural essential oil antibacterial anti-virus cleaner in alcohol as well as a weak bleach. solution clean the bejeejee out of the coop and nesting boxes and replenish the litter with balsam . Then the next day I will lock the girls in their nice clean fresh dis infected coop and attack the run. Muck out the old hay,, clean and disinfect, spray my solution let it dry and re introduce them out side once its dried out after 2 or three days???

We are going to start all this tomorrow after i get home from work...

Sorry for th long winded post! Thank you in advance!!!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    If it's as bad as you say and spreading to the other hens then I would use anti-biotics

3. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    I'm sending my amazing hubby to get some antibiotics in the am

4. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    I'm getting antibiotics tomorrow. I would appreciate any guidance as to what would be the better ones to chose, since I would like tto be able to still eat their eggs once they are all good.. and can I get anything from the eggs that I've collected this past week since symptoms have been showing up? i'm also looking up online as well

cheers!

5. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    it's either Duramycin or Agrimycin-343, which I believe is a little bit stronger of the two antibiotics. They both seem to be from thr tetracycline family . One seems to be more of a preventative (the former) and the other when your in the shzz (the latter)..

6. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Chickens don't usually transmit illnesses and diseases to humans but I still wouldn't eat them just to be safe and as of wich anti-biotics to give I really don't know

7. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    update..my amazing man went to get some med for the girls. he found a farm vet who said that by judging by the symptoms they do not need antibiotics.. I'm giving them somthing like a de wormer and still cleaning and switching out the litter... . I'm a pretty happy girl ..still keeping an eye on it though for further developments...Apparently i like them a little more than i care to admit...

8. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    hey ! thanks! any insight is more than i had before :)

9. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How are they doing?

10. ChknHeadChknFed

Sep 28, 2016
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    They seem to be doing the same @Flock Master64 thanks for asking! .Which is great because that means their not doing any worse! :). But i jut started my regime...stuff under their wings .. apple cider vinegar and garlic in their water.. changing every thing out on sun..Apparently the chicken whisperer at our local farm & feed place said what we were describing is pretty common for this time of year. It also has something to do with their crop? I'm all for going with that scenario way better than the doom and gloom of google lol.. aaannnddd being a new chicken mom I expected the worst from not knowing what to expect!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by